Asr Recovery - No Install Cd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yogibo50

I neeed to recover my hard drive but it is a work laptop and I dont have the Windows-XP Pro CD. I could send the machine back to the head office but I will end up with a formatted drive which I dont want. Is there any way I can restore from an ASR backup without going into Xp Setup?

Is there any way I can restore from an ASR backup without going into Xp Setup?
No, you need the XP CD to start the ASR recovery.

Go here to download the XP startup in floppy format

Here is the procedure

1. Insert your Windows XP Professional Installation CD-ROM and boot from CD-ROM. If you get the message to "press any key to boot from CD...", press any key.

2. As soon as you see "Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR) ..." on the bottom line - press F2. You only have about 2 seconds to do so, so be prepared.

3. You will then be prompted to insert the ASR floppy disk. Do so.
You have for a few seconds still the time to abort the ASR process by pressing ESC.

4. Warning! The system will now start to format your C: drive. When it's done it will start with a process very similar to the XP installation.

5. After the file copying is done, the system will reboot and continue with the installation process, but it will not continue a complete installation. It starts the Automated System Recovery Wizard. This screen will wait for 90 sec, then it will continue automatically.

6. A screen will appear, asking you to confirm the location of the disk backup-file.

7. At the end of the ASR process, NTBACKUP.EXE is automatically used to restore the information on the C: drive.

8. After the process is over check to see if all data and settings have been restored properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online