1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Assembling my first PC. Please help me! :-(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rodney D, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lurker1

Lurker1

2. exocet

exocet

With a little care, all it takes is releasing the clip at the base of the heatsink from the pegs on the edge of the cpu socket. As long as you dont brute force anything or crush the die of the cpu with the heatsink, it's an easy task. Using even pressure and caution, you shouldn't worry about putting the heatsink on or off. Even if the cpu fan is running, some motherboards will not turn on if the heatsink itself is positioned incorrectly. It's worth checking out, but of course do not do anything you feel uncomfortable with. Hope you figure out the problem soon!

EDIT: Alright, disregard above. I did a little searching, which seems to verify the link that Lurker just posted. That error code does appear to have something to do with how the RAM and video card are seated:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20254519.html

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing, do not put the mb on top of the anti-static bag that it came in for testing. The outside of the bag is conductive. Put the mb on top of the box that it came in; this eliminates the possibility of shorting the mb.
    Try getting the mb to post outside of the case; since installing the video card with the screw can pull the card slightly out of the slot. Try with just the video card, ram, and processor installed. You will have to short the power pin on the board to power up.

4. Rockn

Rockn

It sounds like the product is defective and from reading the reviews on resellerratings.com it sounds like you will have a hell of a time getting it replaced. Almost without exception most of the reviews for motherboard combos were not good at all and if you get ahold of a guy named Eric, be prepared to get yelled at. The bags I have used have not been the metallic ones and were always the plastic anti-static type. You are correct about the metallic ones tho.

5. Rodney D

Rodney D Thread Starter

Rockn, I read those reviews about an hour ago. My heart sank.

Thankfully, thanks to your guys' suggestions, I got the thing to post! I followed the links provided by you guys stating that the memory needed to be firmy seated.

So for the 4th or 5th time I took out the RAM again to reinstall it but this time I took the MB off the case, supported the back under the RAM slot and really pushed the sucker in there. I felt it slide in just a bit more than it did before and now it works!

I think I'm out of the woods now as I just need to re-format my HD and install the rest of my stuff.

Once again, you guys have been the greatest! I've never been to a forum where people have went out of their way to be so helpful and friendly. It's obvious that some of you even went around and found information for me to help me out. I really, really appreciate that. I really do. Thanks.

6. Rodney D

Rodney D Thread Starter

crjdriver,

WoW! I did not know that! I did put the MB down on top of the thing twice now thinking that the whole bag was safe. Luckily it looks like no harm was done but I will definately keep that in mind in the future.

That would be stupid for me to go through all these ESD precautions only to fry a component by putting it on top of the ESD-bubble bag!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to post. I just wonder how they were able to "test" your board since they installed the ram.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice