1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Assembling PC back together - Not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by junglejorge, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junglejorge

junglejorge Thread Starter

hello everybody,

my buddy brought his pc(compaq 6420nx, minus ram) to my house to clean and reformat his hdd.

i removed the drives, mobo and psu to give it a good spring cleaning.

i gently blasted everything with compressed air.

installed cpu, heatsink and fan on mobo

installed mobo into case

installed psu

installed optical, hdd, floppy drives

installed 1 x512mb pc2100(oem from another compaq but might be from this pc)

connected power connectors from psu to hardware and data cables to devices.

started pc but then it runs(fans) for 5-10 seconds and turns off

started removing power connnectors from hardware one by one, finally remove 512mb of pc2100(oem from another compaq but might be from this pc) and pc stays on(fans). i placed another 1 x 512mb of pc3200(retail) and still, it only runs(fans) for 5-10 seconds. i then placed 2 x 128mb of pc3200(oem from my 400sc dell) and still it only runs 5-10 seconds.

i removed all ram again and pc stays on(fans) with just beeping, there's no beeping when i turn on pc with ram, it just shuts off after 5-10 seconds.

this pc was running before i got it(about a year ago), it had the ram removed and was just aside. this pc has an amd 2200+ cpu oem so it should be a decent school pc. the oem ram i was originally using, the 1 x 512mb of oem ram is supposed to be the original ram the pc came with. this ram wasn't installed when i got it from my buddy. he took this ram and used it on his other compaq then gave that computer away but removed the 512mb from it.

could it be that i'm using the wrong memory? suggestions are extremely welcomed

thanks again guys

2. gaftop1

gaftop1

might or might not help try taking the battery out for about 20 minutes. that wil clear everything (don't just clear cmos). your compaq calls for pc2100. do a search for your model #compaq. the 3200 might not work and you might have a bad 2100. the ram when you got the comp was out for a reason.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Your machine only can take PC2100 memory. Max is 2Gb.

I would take out the battery too. Clear the system out, so to speak, starts the BIOS with default settings.

4. gaftop1

gaftop1

pretty sure you have a bad stick. when all is working yoiu should get a single post beep. get a new pc2100

5. junglejorge

thanks guys,

i did remove the battery and set the jumpers to clear the cmos overnight. i borrowed some pc2100 from a buddies compaq and still no go.

i even switched out the processor for a 1.3 t-bird(c)133 to see if i had a bad cpu and still no go.

i will stop by radio shack and pick up some pc2100 with the condition that they let me return it if i can't get this pc running.

perhaps i have a bad mobo? the psu is a hipro? is this psu stock for compaqs? i've tried 3 different sticks of pc2100. i will try one more from radio shack and see how that goes.

thanks again guys, i should be off to radio shack soon, i'll post an update

6. junglejorge

also, i don't have any optical or hdd's connected, only the mobo and psu.

7. gaftop1

gaftop1

pretty sure you need a hdd and vid connected to see anything

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you using a good thermal pad or paste between the CPU and the Heat Sink? . . if not, the CPU may be over heating and shuting down. You should not reuse the one that was on it but put in a new pad or paste.

wrs

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You don't need a HDD to see it working. It will simply say no operating system found.

One thing that has puzzled me, how come your buddy brought the machine without any memory in it?

10. gaftop1

gaftop1

i was thinking the same thing . it was apart for a reason. he was having trouble somewhere

11. junglejorge

i used artic silver, on both the xp2200+ it came with and the 1.3 t-bird (c).

12. junglejorge

he used the 512mb in another compaq he had, i'm thinking the mobo is dead? it only shuts off when i put memory in, if i leave the memory out, it will stay on with a beep every few seconds.

i guess i'll just take the optical/floppy/hdd, processor/ram and modem card for another case?

i was hoping on getting this running but it is being my limited knowledge of trouble shooting and repair. taking it to get professional service would cost too much.

thanks for all your help guys, i'll keep tinkering with it and see if it can be made to work

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    how does the beeps go? is it one long beep then short ones?

14. junglejorge

thank you for the reply, they are short beeps, another thing that i'm wondering about, i remember on old asus board with c.o.p if the cpu fan wasn't spinning enough rpms, c.o.p would shut the pc down, also if you connected the cpu fan to the wrong pin it would shut down also.

do you know if this compaq computer has a similar utility??? when i was trying to build this pc, i had a cpu fan running from the connectors used to power the hdd/optical drives. i didn't have a cpu fan with a cpu_fan connector to connect to the mobo.

i wonder if this is the issue? right now i don't have a regular cpu fan, i'll see if i can borrow and test it out again.

what do you guys think?

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm not too technical when it comes to the fans. It's possible that the cpu_fan has a sensor for the fan, and maybe that the motherboard is not sensing the fan. But that's just speculation.

Though i would be suprised that Compaq had a mobo like that..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice