assign drive letter prior to win install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

norton

I have a partitioned HDD, last time I had to format and reinstall windows xp, my operating system was "C" drive. When I reinstalled windows, the automatic selection was the next available drive letter. Is there a method of pre assigning a drive letter to an unpartitioned drive prior to windows automatically choosing for me. The drive with my operating system is now "F" drive where it used to be "C". Thanks for any advise.

Do you have more than one OS right now?

There isnt any way to change the drive letter and have it stll function properly right now.

If you were to fdisk and format, it would default back to c:\ when you reinstalled.

norton

Thanks for the info. I thought as much. If it really starts to bother me I might use ghost and then fdisk/format. Thanks again.:)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Before the O/S is installed, there is a default method of determining the drive letters. I'm not sure how you managed to install on F: if you didn't have any other O/S installed, unless you actually specified placement there.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Originally posted by norton:
Thanks for the info. I thought as much. If it really starts to bother me I might use ghost and then fdisk/format. Thanks again.:)
No need to Fdisk and format with a floppy when installing Windows 2000 or XP. You can do it right from the install. It will give you an option to delete and create partitions during the install.

BlackViper has some excellent tutorials on install Windows.

Installing Windows XP Home

Installing Windows XP Professional

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online