1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

assign permanent drive letter to removable drive in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hl5, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hl5

hl5 Thread Starter

I just got a new computer and so I'm back in the modern age again after using Win 98 in 2006.

This is a laptop though and I'd like to install a few infrequently used applications onto a removable drive. I have several USB devices, and I'd like WinXP to always use the same drive letter for this drive so an installed program will run correctly.

I foolishly assumed that Microsoft had made stuff like this easy by now. They've had nearly a decade to do it since I last bought an OS. But apparently not. But maybe someone can lend some advice.

Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk management.

Right click on the drive in question, and select "change drive letter", set it to whatever letter suits you. It should stay put when next connected.

3. hl5

hl5 Thread Starter

What I was actually trying to do was keep the drive letter but make it permanent. I did find that utility, and now I've tried assigning it a lower letter -- R.

If I assign it E, but connect other devices first, I wonder if E would still be reserved for it. (Does that utility actually do ANYTHING if the drive is already E, but I then tell it E again? Not sure.)

This does seem to be easiER in XP, but still very clumsy to do.

I do think assigning it a low letter should do the trick.

We'll see.

4. hl5

hl5 Thread Starter

OK, just to confirm...

If I assign it a high letter like E, but connect something else first, it will NOT assign it E. I.e. I just plugged in a device and it assigned that E, and this drive F. So it does not reserve a letter; it only assigns it if available.

This drive letter system that Microsoft invented in like the 70's is getting a little stale.

Anyway, the trick does seem to be to assign it a low letter that should never be automatically assigned by the system.

5. hl5

hl5 Thread Starter

a couple other quick notes --

- XP also lets you assign a drive partition to a folder on another drive (that drive has to be NTFS). You do this using the same utility.

- To use a higher letter, you can also reassign all your other drives to lower ones (however, this could be a pain and would require reassigning new drives you add -- even cameras and tiny USB drives).

Here's a utility that adds some extra functionality --

USBDLM
    http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Here's a utility that lets you assign drive letters under earlier Windows versions (95, 98, ME) --

Letter Assigner
    http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/index.html

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nice little utility, thanks for posting it. :) I normally assign my USB drives letters that won't be used by other devices connecting to solve this issue, but this might be handy in the future.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice