1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Assigning a drive letter to a USB port & making it permanent

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cullism, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I have followed the instructions for changing the drive letter for a USB port. The problem is that the change works for one USB stick but when I insert a different one it has a different drive letter. I want the USB port to have the letter M regardless of the USB stick which is inserted. What step am I missing?

2. LIS333

LIS333

You can only assign a drive letter to a drive, not a port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

Is there a solution to my problem? As it stands I run a backup program to back up folders to two USB sticks, however I have to modify the job so that it looks at either the K drive or the M drive which is quite a nuisance. Could I solve the problem by reformatting one of the USB sticks?

4. LIS333

LIS333

I run local backups every three days alternating between 3 usb external drives. I use Second Copy for local backup solution and create three backup profiles, one for each drive. I do this to protect against a drive failure and the possibility of ransomware. I also use Carbonite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that I would encounter the same problem no matter which backup software used (?) I currently use Syncback and, being paranoid, backup to two USBs. I backup manually as I go along but also have two scheduled backups which backup to an external hard drive and a secondary internal drive on different days. I would hate to lose the thousands of images I have scanned from photo albums, etc.

6. jenae

jenae

Hi, your data is important so I would test this first. get yourself two flash drives (put a little data on each and assign one a permanent drive letter, say P) Now put both drives into the computer. Open an elevated cmd prompt, and type diskpart. Select the disk assigned the drive P, say it was disk 3, you type:-
    Select disk 3, the prompt will say Disk 3 is now the selected disk.

Next type:- uniqueid disk, you will see a alpha numeric number, like:-
    E9BE1B1F For a usb drive, the OS drive will look like this:-
    Disk ID: {1864CECB-80AF-11E7-933C-74D43506B3C5}

Now select the other flash drive, once selected, run this cmd,
    UNIQUEID DISK ID=E9BE1B1F

Now both drives have the same ID number, Test to see if both show as P drive when inserted seperately. If you do this, on your real drives, then I accept no responsibility

7. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I am a bit confused. How do I determine what disk the USB drive is (Disk 3, 4, etc.) I am afraid that I might accidentally change the drive letter for my C: or D: drives (my real drives) if I select the wrong disk number.

8. jenae

jenae

Hi, your response worries me, I thought you were more advanced, it is easy, once you select a disk you can then run the cmd :-

detail disk

Here is an example:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.402]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart
    Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: PTOC
    DISKPART> list disk
    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 489 GB 1024 KB *
    Disk 1 Online 298 GB 1024 KB

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

TOSHIBA MK3265GSX USB Device
    Disk ID: E9BE1B1F
    Type : USB
    Path : 0
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    Volume 5 F My System B NTFS Partition 298 GB Healthy
    DISKPART>

9. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I first started using computers in the early eighties at work. My expertise (such as it is) has always been in spreadsheets, databases and suchlike. At work I always had an IT section to handle technical issues. Thanks for your help. I will follow your instructions and see how I go.

10. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I followed you instructions to the letter but still found that each USB drive had its own drive letter. It finally dawned on me that, as I think you said earler, the drive letter is assigned to the USB drive rather than the port. As a result of this belated realisation I have overcome the problem without having to do what you suggest. I have two backups which backup the same folders onto two different USB drives. My problem occurred because I used Syncback for both backups. I now use Syncback for one backup and FBackup for the other which overcomes the problem of different drive letters. My third backup is unrelated to the first two. It is a backup of a series of Excel worksheets which is done via an Excel macro.

Thanks for your help (and patience).

Michael

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice