1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Assigning an IP Address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by copy and print, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. copy and print

copy and print Thread Starter

Hi, im running RoadRunner with a wireless G broadband linksys router for my wireless network, and i want to assign a specific Ip adress. My ultimate goal is change my 3rd number to anything divisable by 8, and the last number to be 0(the first and second don't matter to me). I've already tried going into the router setup, and changing my MAC address, but when i save the settings, i loose internet connection, and i have to reset it back to the original to even get connection again.

Also, i am using a router, if that matters.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi copy and print, and welcome to TSG.

Your information is a bit sketchy. Maybe you can explain what your end goal is supposed to be.

Are you trying to change your public IP address (your IP address on the Internet) or an IP Address used on your LAN? If it is a LAN address, what are the actual IP addresses you wish to use?

Why are you trying to change the MAC address of anything?

The last time I heard there is more than one model number of Linksys routers. Can you give us the model number?

3. copy and print

Thanks for the reply cwwozniak!

Im not too sure which, it's the one www.ipchicken.com shows
    this is the info ipchicken gives me:
    [​IMG]Name Address: cpe-72-226-241-69.rochester.res.rr.com
    [​IMG]Remote Port: 1803
    [​IMG]Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; ImageShack Toolbar 4.6.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)

My goal is to change my IP to 72.226.8.0
    The third number has to be divisible by 8, doesn't matter how high, and the last number needs to be 0

My router model is WRT54G

I was trying to change my MAC address because of this tutorial guide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qe6cABJ7OI

If you need other information, just ask :p

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's your public IP address. Call your ISP. Tell us whether the response is stunned silence or rude laughter. :) Actually there is a chance that you will be able to work something out with them, but expect to pay considerably more.

5. copy and print

Any idea why in the youtube video, the maker doesn't have a problem changing his, but I do?

6. downpipe

downpipe

Hi There.
    I agree, your ISP is the best one to contact regarding changing your Internet IP address.

You mention you would like the the 4th octet to be 0 (zero). Zero is normally assigned as the network and 255 as the broadcast address. The numbers in between 1-254 can then be used for your devices Having said that the last octet of zero 'could' be overcome by changing your subnet mask.

Thafore mentioned info really applies to your own devices on your LAN and not to the IP assigned by your ISP.

Hope that helps.

7. tek guy

tek guy

Are you trying to change the LAN IP address of the router?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Offhand I can think of two possibilities:

a. You forgot to power cycle the modem;
    b. Your ISP tracks the MAC Address of the device to which the modem is connected.

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    That video also how to get a different public IP address but it does not show how to get a specific new IP address. Assuming you figure out how to change your IP address by changing the router MAC address, there is no guarantee that you could ever get a dynamic IP address assigned to you where the third octet would be evenly divisible by 8. Such an address might not be in the range of valid addresses the ISP allows on your segment of their network.

I would also have to go along with downpipe and say you would never get a zero in the fourth octet of a dynamic IP address

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With, for example, APIPA there are 255 valid IP addresses with the fouth octet zero: 169.254.x.0, where 0<x<256. Remember that with APIPA the Mask is 255.255.0.0.

Anytime the Mask's 3rd octet is less than 255 there is at least one valid IP with 4th octet zero.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice