1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

assigning drive letters

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richocki, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

Can you reassign a drive letters to a second hard drive, cd/dvd drive? I seem to remember something about that in XP but can not recall what it was I read.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . Disc Management . . in the boxes on the right of that panel you will see the drives ( hard and cd/dvd ) . . right click on one and select "change drive name and path"

3. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply.
    It comes up saying
    "Local Disk Manager (LDM) is not registered.
    LDM supports Windows 2000 or later."
    My system is the Home version of XP with SP2 installed

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You get that message when you right click on the drive? . . what kind of drive is it?

5. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

I have two hard drives, both are Western Digital, a Lite-on CDRW and a Optorite DVD/CD. Not sure why the make of the drive would make a difference here.

Now let me see if I understood you.... I right click on the "My Computer" in the Start Menu correct? That must be correct because I get the Manage and Disk Management options.

Could there be problem here that I am not aware of?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Not sure what you are asking . .

7. jnibori

jnibori

Have a look at this article: ** The LangaList Standard Edition 2006-03-13**

"LDM Is Not Registered"
    Fred, Your article "Another Hidden Gem: The Windows Disk Management Tool " ( http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180207718 ) was very interesting and prompted met to attempt to play around with the Disk Manager.

Unfortunately I cannot access the Disk Manager and get the following error message:

"Logical Disk Manager (LDM) is not registered.
    LDM supports Windows 2000 or later.
    Check the operating system version on the computer named ..."

As I am using Windows XP professional with all the service packs and critical updates that are current, this error message is a mystery, particularly since I have previously been able to use the Disk Manager.

Can you assist me in tracing and correcting this problem please. ---Barend J Venter

Wow, I've never seen that. Only a couple hits in Google, too:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q="Logical+Disk+Manager"+LDM+"not+registered"

The Microsoft site has a bit more, including some version-specific info, and a discussion of certain instances that can trigger that message: http://tinyurl.com/n9le5

This site has a more detailed discussion, although it's definitely from the geeky end of the pool: http://tinyurl.com/oghmh

If none of those fixes work, I'd take this failure as an early warning sign that something deep in your OS is hosed. I'd further suggest you restore a known-good image or full backup; or even consider a reinstall.

8. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

Simpswr, jnibori thank you both for taking the time on this issue.
    My original quest was to change the drive letters of my CDRW and DVD drive. I realize it is an insignificant thing but none the less I tried. I get the exact error message posted in jniboris' post so I can assume that I have a problem with the Disk Manager feature of the OS.
    Everything else seems to be working fine, except WMP 11 will not play wmv files, but that is another post. I may do a repair install of XP and see if that corrects the problem. Again thanks for the help and the information on the Langalist article.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice