Assistance Isolating Hardware Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

svoneb

I've done a ton of troubleshooting the past couple days so I will try to make sure to have everything down.

After moving my computer to another room it would not turn on. It would flash a light once and start to spin the fan for a half a second. I replaced the PSU (upgrading it from 700 to 750) and threw in more than double the amount of RAM (making sure both were compatible). After that I got it to turn on to have another unrelated issue.

The computer would not fully load up Windows. It would go to a blue screen and say I needed to repair it which never worked. I loaded up the computer using a USB stick with XP and backed everything up. I wiped the drive and tried to install 64 bit, it would blue screen before loading the installer with a different error every time. I was able to get it to load 32bit but I wasn't able to open anything but Windows Explorer and Task Manager. I couldn't click on the windows button or update anything. The CPU is constantly running at 100% with nothing running and no reason. The screen constantly glitches. The last error I remember was "System_Service_Exception".

I installed Windows 8.1 on the computer and this time the 64bit installer worked, however it had the same issue as Windows 10 32 bit. The only difference is we could open up the start menu but it wouldn't open anything up because it said it had a problem opening it. It still crashes after a couple minutes with the same errors.

I have accepted it's a hardware issue but any additional isolation steps would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I am purchasing the part that needs to be fixed.

Frost_WD

Western Digital Representative
Hi svoneb and welcome to the forum,

Could you post the error codes from the BSODs that you are getting? They contain vital information about what exactly is malfunctioning. Without them, we would be more or less shooting in the dark.

As general advice:
What is more, make sure that all the components are snugly in place. Also, check the temperatures of all the components. In Safe Mode, try to reinstall all drivers (use the latest versions from the manufacturers site).

If you can, put your HDD in a different system as a secondary drive, and make a backup (one should always have at least one backup copy). That is if you have important information on the disk.

After that, run a diagnostics test and post the SMART status here. Make sure not to include the SN of the disk. All the rows and data should be visible (the RAW values especially).

Keep me posted,
Frost_WD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.