1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Assuring computers have most up-to-date DNS info?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CGWaters, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGWaters

CGWaters Thread Starter

I have a basic question about assuring that computers have accurate and up-to-date DNS server addresses.

My home network includes a combination router and DHCP server. The router gets its external IP address and its DNS servers from my ISP.

For remote accessibility and forwarding purposes, I'd like to assign static IP addresses to some of my computers.

When a computer is configured to use a static IP address, the DNS server addresses must also be manually configured. Over the years, I've noticed (by accident) that my router has been configured with updated DNS server addresses from my ISP. In such instances, the computers I've configured to use static IP addresses have had ended up having 'stale' DNS server addresses. I want to make sure that my computers are using the most efficient and up-to-date DNS servers.

How do other forum members handle this? Do you occasionally check your router's configuration page to see if your DNS servers have been updated....and then update your computers accordingly? Instead, do you perhaps use an external DNS provider and trust that they won't change the addresses of the servers? Or don't you worry about it?

(I realize that DHCP handles the assigning of DNS server addresses to clients. IMO, however, there should be a way for automatically communicating DNS server updates to devices that have been assigned static IP addresses.)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "normal" thing to do is just assign the router's LAN address as the computer's DNS server. Most routers (Linksys is a notable exception) do this by default when assigning via Dhcp. Sometimes, but infrequently, this does not work when using static configurations.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice