Assymetrical Y-Connector? AB switch?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jelleym

I've been seeking everywhere, including "howstuffworks" - for a clear, online dummies-type :confused: schematic diagram enabling me to understand:
Y-Connector plus AB-switch Combo.

Or whatever is necessary for my objective as follows:

I plan on having 2 computer monitors hooked up to my box.

I want one near the box (3 ft. cable) since short cables give clear displays
The other might be placed up to 8 ft. away - would display be fuzzy??
hence my wondering about assymetrical connector

I'd prefer that the primary-monitor (connected to 3 ft. cable) remain switched on throughout computer session.
On the other hand, I'd only wish to view the other monitor occasionally during computer sessions, whereupon I'd want to switch that monitor on very temporarily, then off again.

Does this involve a Y-Connector & AB switch? (is switch easily accessible?
Or maybe I should use the switch on the monitor itself, not the AB switch?
Or maybe just lower the brightness/contrast?
Objective: To conserve the longevity of the secondary monitor)

I have used a Y connector for monitors before, and what I noticed was a decrease in the screen brightness of BOTH monitors.

I did this a long time ago, so perhaps with today's newer more powerful Video Cards, this would not be an issue?

I would suggest skipping the A/B switch, just use the Y cable, and turn OFF the 2nd monitor when not needed.

jelleym

winbob, thank you very much! Can you please let me know whether there's any assymetrical Y-connectors, so that the cable to the primary monitor should be short, while the one at other side of room should be, say, 8 ft?

I'm confused - for example, say we're speaking of a 3 ft. Y-connector.
Does that mean that the cable begins splitting after 1 1/2 feet?
And if it's 6 ft., does that means it starts splitting after 3 ft?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online