ASUS 4850 & Powercolour 4850 in Crossfire ????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chazshep

Quick question, would i be able to have an asus 4850 AND a powercolour 4850 in crossfire ????? both of them are 1Gb GDDR3 models. would there be any issues with them being different makes ? well kind of makes i guess..............

crjdriver

They are not "kind" of different makes, they are different makes.
They should work together however powercolor is a very cheap brand of video card. You may or may not have problems. The only way to find out is to install the second card and configure the bios for crossfire [if necessary].

crjdriver

FWIW crossfire or sli is nothing more than a gimmick to sell more video cards. The technology is not new; it has been around since the late 90s. IMO you would get better performance from going with a single 4870 type card rather than two 4850s.

Next thing to consider is that many motherboards will cut the pci-e bandwidth in half when you use two cards. Instead of having one slot @ X16, you have two slots @ X8.

Low-end Compaq and Crossfire sounds a bit impossible... Just upgrade the card, sell the old one. Also make sure your power supply is good enough.

chazshep

sorry i didnt mention that im making a new computer. also they buy the cards of ATi and then modify them ????? so basically they are and arent different makes. also i got a 850w card so i dont think i will face a problem. BTW sorry for my poor english, im in a DT lesson at school.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online