1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS 7600GS locks up...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jayke68, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jayke68

Jayke68 Thread Starter

Ok, I've had this ASUS 7600GS for about a month now. It keeps locking up whenever I load a game or movie. I've installed the proper drivers, a new power supply (card requires min. 18amps on 12V rail) All the diagnostic util's say all is well, no errors in the log. I considered heat to be a factor, but with the air con on & sys temps in the high20's/low 30's it's still the same. Running Win XP Pro. Even being CompTIA A+ and Network+ certified, I'm running out of ideas on this one...
    Any ideas???

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

How many +12v rails does the new unit have, and what is the amperage on the rails?

3. Jayke68

Jayke68 Thread Starter

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The specs on the power supply look good. Do you have the 4 pin molex aux power connector plugged into the card? A few of the reviews I read did mention the card ran fairly hot, so the first thing I would try is to pull the side off the machine and point a desk fan at the card and see if the problem continues.

5. Jayke68

Jayke68 Thread Starter

Yeah, this PSU cost me 5X what I paid for a 500 watt Astone, nice little unit... anyway the AGP card IS plugged in, I have air con here as well as a PCI slot AGP cooler. The card runs between 25-28 degrees most of the time. I see that ASUS has a new beta BIOS update listed as of today, so I'll check it out, might be a fix. Thx !

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I would be very careful about flashing the BIOS with a beta release. On beta releases essentially what you are doing is testing for ASUS.

I realize the card is plugged in to the AGP buss, however the specs on the card also showed a position for a 4 pin molex connector from your power supply to be connected to the card. Is the 4 pin molex connector from the power supply plugged into the card?

7. Jayke68

Jayke68 Thread Starter

Yes, as I stated the card IS plugged in... both in the AGP slot :confused: and to the molex 12V from the PSU. ASUS has an idiot proof BIOS flashing utility, no problem. Thx

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice