1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo Problem - please help :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nburcomb, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nburcomb

nburcomb Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm basically a novice to building a PC, but I thought I'd have a go.
    I've got an Athlon 2800 XP Barton core processor and the A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.
    The mobo was bought cheap off ebay and sold as "new bios chip installed - untested"
    and I thought I'd take a gamble at £35. I've installed the processor and a 1Gb of memory
    and plumbed in the 9800Pro graphics card and when I fire it up - there is a long very high piteched
    beep. It says in the instructions that this mean that the processor is too hot and it's in a safe mode.

I ran Sandra 2004 on it and it warned me that the CPU was running at 1300mhz (about half) but also
    that the CPU fan was down to 900rpm. It further informed me that the mobo voltage was too high.

Does this seem to be the root of the problem and can I change it in the Bios? I'm not sure about changing bios
    settings - as I say - I'm a novice, but can anyone advise where to find out the information for this or indeed
    what the solution is.

Thanks for your time

Nick

2. brite750

brite750

Doesn't sound like your gamble paid off. If someone on TSG doesn't come up with some really good suggestions, if it was me I would go buy a new mobo, and write this off to experience. The mobo is the heart of your system, if you go cheapy on it you take your chances. Another problem is mobo problems can be hard to diagnose for home users. You could try taking it to a shop to test the board maybe, other than that, that mobo seems highly suspect.

3. nburcomb

nburcomb Thread Starter

I suspect you're right.
    Do you know if the voltage can be changed in the bios easily?

nick

4. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

If you put the system together yourself , hope you have applied thermal pasta between CPU & heat sink !
    New heat sinks usualy come with pasta allready aplied (yellow , gray ore white colerd stuf)

Try updating the BIOS.
    On the link below you need the awdflash.zip &
    1 of the BIOS C1007 files depending on what PCB revision level (usually it can be found on the mobo) :
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X Deluxe&Type=BIOS&SLanguage=en-us

After update , reset the bios settings (power cord disconnected) with the jumper on the mobo (keep it in the reset position for about a minute) & put the jumper back on its original position.
    You have to set time in the BIOS setup screen & there should be an option to load BIOS defaults.
    Load BIOS defaults should set voltage correctly.
    In the BIOS health menu , check if CPU fan RPM's are still at 900RPMS.
    RPMS should be over 2000 so if not , replace fan ore complete heat sink.

Good luck (y)

5. zeddy

zeddy

Be careful you dont fry any of those expensive components in trying to sort out the PC, if you have any older graphics card, you might want to check out with Asus on whether they will RMA the board - they may still honour the warranty. Try registering it on their website and then post the problem with it and ask their advice.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since it has a new bios chip, I would surmise that someone was trying to update the bios and had a bad flash. You can try flashing to the latest bios and load system defaults as has been posted.

Pull the hsf and check that you have installed it correctly. The recessed part of the hsf goes over the lip on the socket. If you install it backwards, it will overheat.

Note when I have to pull a hsf, [on an AMD] I always pull the board. This is not absolutely necessary, however it is difficult to get the hsf installed correctly with the board in the case. Once you have to board out of the case, try for a post outside the case. If you need instructions on how to get it to post outside the case, post back. I have them in a txt file.

7. nburcomb

nburcomb Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'll have another go at the bios and I'll check the fitting of the fan, if all these things you've mentioned don't work, I'll get another mobo.
    Maybe a gamble too far :)

Cheers all

Nick

8. nburcomb

nburcomb Thread Starter

I went through some of the settings on the bios and manual changed them to 166mhz cpu freq instead of the AUTO option. Working fine now. Is there a way of updating the bios without a floppy disc? I've got them downloaded but my machine doesn't have a floppy drive.

I also get a single long beep when it boots up - is this because there is no floppy drive attached?

Nick

9. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

Does it say in your manual what that beep means? Some motherboards (like one I used to have) can't recognize the fans that are plugged in if they are not the originals, or just a different kind of fan.

"Since it has a new bios chip, I would surmise that someone was trying to update the bios and had a bad flash. You can try flashing to the latest bios and load system defaults as has been posted."

I agree. Most probably a bad Flash, the guy who sold you the motherboard had bad luck with it, and decided to sell it to you.

The BIOS there looks like you can download it to Windows and update it from that.

10. max 8

max 8

Asus has a windows proggy called Asus Live Update that you can use to update your bios via the internet. Go to their website and read up on it.
    I've used it before when I had my A7V333.

I don't think that you'll get any bios beeps if you don't have a floppy drive hooked up. A single beep at boot up means your system is running ok. How long is that single beep that you hear. If it's a little less than a second long, then that's ok.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice