1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and Athlon m10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crazy Canuck, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Thread Starter

I have seen this in a problem similar to mine. I have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo and an Athlon 2800 2 gig chip that is running at 1200 right now. Windows registers it as the Athlon M10 and bios has no recognition now. It was originally seen as a mobile Athlon 600-800 mhz. I have updated my ASUS bios to 1013 and the chip is running at 200 bus speed. I tried the chip at 300 and the system would not boot. SiSoft Sandra seems to state the board supports up to 3 gig chips. Is there anything I have not done, besides overclocking, that is preventing my cpu's full potential from rearing it's head? Anyone have the answer?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't believe the A7N8X-E Deluxe supports the mobile processors, if thats what you have.

If you have the regular desktop AthlonXP 2800+ then you need to first check the FSB jumper on the motherboard. If you don't have the manual you can download it from the ASUS website. By defualt the jumper limits the FSB to 100Mhz(200Mhz effective). You need to move it to enable 133, 166, and 200Mhz FSB's. Once you do that enter the BIOS setup and change the FSB to 166Mhz which should result in a 333Mhz FSB and the correct processor speed.

3. Crazy Canuck

I'm not 100% sure what model my cpu is. The model # begins with AXMJ and was unable to find that in any listing. The rest says it is a 2800 with a FSB of 400. In the PC Chips mobo the cpu was in, it did not say the cpu was a Mobile Athlon. This board did. SiSoft Sandra says it is a Mobile Athlon XP M10 (Barton\Thorton) 133nm 1.6 ghz processor. The processor is supposed to be a 2 ghz. What is a Mobile processor anyway?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Mobile's are for notebook computers and yours is one of them.

The FSB for it should be 266Mhz effective(2 x 133Mhz) with a resulting clock speed of 2.13Ghz.

5. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7

I've got an Asus A87N8X, and a mobile 2600+ running at 2x200mhz or 3200+ speeds no prob. Im certain that you wont get yours up to 3ghz, not only because of cooling but the chance the processor itself can run that high is slim to none.

6. Crazy Canuck

I have the cpu clocked up to 1.32 right now. The chip came on a mini ATX PCChips (groan) board. Is that normal to have a Mobile chip on something other than a portable. The first four letters of the model number do not match any AMD chips in my research. I know the chip is supposed to be a 2 gig Athlon 2800+, so how do I clock it up to as close to this speed as possible? It shouldn't overheat the cpu to try and clock it up to this speed, I assume. How do I do the overclocking (so to speak) for this board.

7. Crazy Canuck

I have the cpu clocked up to 1.32 right now. The chip came on a mini ATX PCChips (groan) board. Is that normal to have a Mobile chip on something other than a portable. The first four letters of the model number do not match any AMD chips in my research. I know the chip is supposed to be a 2 gig Athlon 2800+, so how do I clock it up to as close to this speed as possible? It shouldn't overheat the cpu to try and clock it up to this speed, I assume. How do I do the overclocking (so to speak) for this board as no harm, hopefully, should acoorur to a cpu running under it's rated speed.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Mobile Athlon's are occasionally used for overclocking. Mobiles are the top of the production bunch and run at their rated speeds with much less voltage then their desktop counterparts. By upping the voltage back up to the desktop level people can achieve higher clock speeds.

I guess since we are talking about an AthlonXP-M you should also check the CPU multiplier, it should be set at 16.

9. Crazy Canuck

How do I check the multiplier?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its in the BIOS, should be in the same spot as the CPU Frequency.

11. Crazy Canuck

I have the FSB set to 166 with the multiplier set at 11.5. CPZ gives me the following:(y)
    voltage 1.6

CLOCKS

Multi - 11.5
    FSB - 167MHz
    Bus - 334.1 MHz

The CPU does not seem to be heating up but it is under the 2.67 gig speed the chip is rated at. Is there anything I am able to do to get the performance up as close to 2 as I can. I know the board can go to 400

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well the mobile Athlon XP's have different FSB's and multipliers then the desktop models with the same model number.

Desktop 2800+: FSB - 166Mhz, Multiplier - 12.5, Clock - 2.08Ghz

Mobile 2800+: FSB - 133Mhz, Multiplier - 16, Clock - 2.133Ghz

13. Crazy Canuck

Will these clockins be harmfull or will they give better performance? Can I get better performace at different settings that give me close to the 2 gigs?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!