1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe + Correct RAM Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PcGrafix, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PcGrafix

PcGrafix Thread Starter

SiSoftware Sandra

System
    Host Name : CUSTOMAMD3200
    Domain : CUSTOMAMD3200

Processor
    Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
    Speed : 2.21GHz
    Model Number : 3200 (estimated)
    Performance Rating : PR3197 (estimated)
    Type : Standard
    L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : No
    MP APIC : No
    System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1013
    Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X-E
    Total Memory : 1535MB

Chipset 1
    Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc nForce2 AGP Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Dell M781s
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y080P0
    Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y120P0
    Hard Disk : IC35L120 AVV207-0 SCSI Disk Device (115.0GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : ASUS CRW-5232AS (CD 52X Rd, 52X Wr)
    CD-ROM/DVD : Memorex DVDUR/RW 8412AJ (CD 63X Rd, 63X Wr) (DVD 8X Rd)
    Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
    Operating system (C:) : 76.3GB (47.8GB, 63% Free) (NTFS)
    Maxtor 120 gig (D:) : 114.5GB (52.5GB, 46% Free) (NTFS)
    Ibm 120 gig (E:) : 115.0GB (96.6GB, 84% Free) (NTFS)
    Metallica (F:) : 7.7GB (0MB, 0% Free) (UDF)
    CD-ROM/DVD (G:) : N/A

Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 0 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : Logitech USB Camera (ClickSmart 510)
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical (IntelliPoint)
    Human Interface : HID-compliant game controller
    Human Interface : Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Optical
    Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Device : Creative SB Live! series
    Device : Creative Game Port

Communication Device(s)
    Device : U.S. Robotics V.92 PCI Faxmodem

Printers and Faxes
    Model : WinFax (Photo Quality)
    Model : WinFax
    Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    Model : Adobe PDF

Network Printers
    Model : \\CUSTOMAMD2500\hp photosmart 7350 series

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services
    Network Drivers Enabled : Yes
    Adapter : NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter

Here is the deal I had 2 x 512 DDR 333Mhz Chips in the computer with everything else being the same as it is, the board supports up to 400Mhz according to ASUS. I experienced only kind of slow performance on the OLD Memory. ALL I CHANGED WAS THE MEMORY

On the new memory it's guaranteed that my computer will crash and restart at any random point while playing Madden 2005. This did not happen with the old RAM. If it were only then I would say the hell with it and not play that anymore. However, this computer will have the same exact problems out of no where when doing something as simple as going an Internet address.
    Or opening a text pad document. It doesn't happen every time you do these things it seems to be completely random, the ASUS probe to monitor Temperatures, Voltages, Fan Speeds and so on says that everything is OK.
    In fact there are So many Fans on this system there are more fans than drives. I Have of course the Board Fan, The CPU Fan, The Power Fan, But I also Have an additional 5 Fans On my Tower case as well Two in front Two in Back and one on the side. So temperature is not an issue My Graphics card has also has it's own cooling fan.

As far as randomness goes I can sometimes play an entire game of Madden no problems and then when it goes to end game crash, other times I get in one play and crash, other times I have went through a game and a half and crash. So I reboot I can leave my system completely alone but on and then I walk by and see that it has crashed for no reason. I could be typing right now and it will just suddenly restart. No consistent reason, no tangebile explanation that I can pin down. I have went through the bios settings a hundred times trying to figure out if it was something there. I have the latest BIOS Driver,Graphics Driver, Directx Version, Windows Updates all that.

So if anyone has any ideas I really would appreciate the help,
    P.S. The RAM is brand New It's Kingston RAM so I really don't believe it is the issue even though somehow it has to be related to that since it was the only thing changed.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I bought a gig of kingston 3200 a few weeks back and it was bad. Download and run microsofts memory diagnostic. You'll need a floppy or a cdr if you don't have a floppy drive. The instuctions are on the page. Let it run a few times through and see what you get.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

3. PcGrafix

PcGrafix Thread Starter

Already ran it and everything but something6 passed whatever 6 failed everytime

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it failed? If it failed its bad or not compatible - return it.

Secondly some kingston RAM does not with Nforce boards so you need to be sure its been tested on your motherboard. I would also go with Crucial or another brand of RAM; I have Kingston memory on that same board and I'm not happy with it at all.

Since you are using a 400Mhz CPU you should have PC3200 RAM.

By the way, how did you get 1.5GB of RAM? Hope you are not mixing the PC2700 memory with PC3200 memory as this can cause problems. Since this board supports dual channel its best to get two identical sticks of RAM - same size, speed, and latency as that'll give you the best performance. The Nforce chipset is somewhat picky on RAM and RAM combinations.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, I thought it would flunk. You need different ram. I hope you didn't get it online because you will wait for awhile getting it replaced. Either that or try to get a refund and go buy it locally. I only buy ram online from crucial.com. It is the only thing I can think of that I would rather buy in a store because ram is unpredictable unless the board maker has it on the "short list" of approved ram.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!