1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS A7N8X-E mobo turns on and turns off in a few seconds?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaFOBulous1, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaFOBulous1

DaFOBulous1 Thread Starter

Trying to build a system for my brother. I put the 3200+ Athlon XP CPU in and with the heatsink. It turns on for maybe a few seconds and then turns off.

People were saying heatsink but I have tried it on 2, one is the ALK-800A, then some CoolerMaster one. I have to admit the CoolerMaster was originally from my 2100+ setup but still, it's all copper.

I do notice when I remove the CPU, it stays turned on. I know pretty sure this CPU works as I tested like hours before I put it in my brothers. Cant do that now since it was a quite a drive back home from college.

Jumpers? Settings? Anything?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.

1 The hsf is installed correctly. If you install it backwards, the hsf will rest on a lip on the cpu socket. This will not allow heat transfer and the system will overheat in a matter of seconds.

2 The hsf is plugged in to the correct header on the board. If there is no fan signal, some boards will shutdown.

3 Have you tried for a post outside of the case? Your system may be grounding to the mounting.

3. norton850

norton850

I was going to post pretty much what crjdriver said. I know you've tried two different heatsinks, but that behavior is suspicious for a heatsink that's not on right allowing for overheating and shutdown.

Edit: Just wanted to make sure that you are using a thermal pad or thermal grease. The retail AMD setup comes with a pad already on the heatsink. Probably you are doing this, but just wanted to make sure.

4. DaFOBulous1

DaFOBulous1 Thread Starter

Thx guys!!!

Jeezzz.my first system I built myself was when I was in the 3rd grade. Even in college do I face the same problems such as what you guys suggested was right on.

:)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you get it to post?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice