1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS A7V Motherboard settings?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cthrash, May 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cthrash

cthrash Thread Starter

Recently I upgraded to an ASUS A7V MB with an Athlon 850 chip. I selected "Jumper free" settings, and recently on bootup I have been getting a message sending me to the BIOS saying that my CPU Frequency settings are wrong. It has been set to "USer Define," CPU frequency 100 (It gives the option of setting it as high as 133, but I leave it at 100), and DRAM Freqency 133 (I have 256 MB of PC133).
    The motherboard tech people only (wearily) say that this board "often does that." But it does it about every 3d or 4th boot.
    I don't understand the multipliers, etc. Should the settings be changed? (I would have to change a jumper to "Jumper mode" to make any further changes.)
    Thanks.

2. brianF

brianF

It must be a motherboard bug they can't work out.
    I would think if you went with jumpers the settings would hold rather than depending on the softmenu settings, but that's just an opinion. At least with the jumpers it is a hardware type setting rather than software.

3. CopperWhat?

CopperWhat?

Have you checked the Asus site for bios updates or bug fixes? I agree with brianF on this one. Go with the manual jumpers.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Here's a download site for ASUS. <a href="http://www.asus.com/products/software1.html">http://www.asus.com/products/software1.html</a>

5. cthrash

cthrash Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I flashed the BIOS for the latest one for my motherboard. It went o.k., but my USB external modem wouldn't work, and there were other glitches (it didn't want to close down). So I re-flashed the old BIOS. I could try changing to the jumper mode, but I don't really understand all the settings--for instance, the CPU "external frequency" (what's that?), the CPU Core:Bus Frequency Multiple (what's that?). The manual doesn't really explain all that...
    Thanks,
    Calvin

6. brianF

brianF

7. cthrash

cthrash Thread Starter

Brian, Your references in your last post was a treasure trove for the ASUS A7V. I upgraded the drivers for the VIA chipset as the suggested, and have had no further trouble, even though I have the same BIOS as originally.
    Thanks again for digging that out for me.
    Calvin Thrash

8. Whypick1

Whypick1

Well, if you're gonna go Jumpered mode, i can decipher that jargon.

CPU: External Frequency = It's Front Side Bus, in your case, it'd be 100mhz, unless your overclocking.

CPU Core: Bus Frequency Multiple = How much the CPU's FSB will be multiplied for your total mhz rating. In your case, it should be set at 8.5 (8.5*100mhz=850mhz)

Also, if you come across something for DRAM:CPU ratio, it should be set to 4:3 since your RAM can run at 133mhz (if the wor order is flipped, then flip the ratio as well)

[Edited by Whypick1 on 05-25-2001 at 08:33 PM]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/44416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice