1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus A7V8X-X Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nixon29, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

Here's my problem. I just bought a 250 Gig. Western Digital. I went to partition it and now I can only get (127 gig) out of it... Not good. I have a ATA Controller Card Installed. But I think I read somewhere that you may have to update your bios to get it to read anything over 127 gig. If anyone knows anything that could help me please either post or e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you

BTW: If if you do have ot update your bios.. please keep in mind that my floppy isn't working so if there's anyway to do it through cdr or anything else please let me know

2. active95

active95

I understand that now it shows 127 gigs, but does the BIOS show all 250 gigs or it just shows 127 gig?
    It's possible that when you partitioned something went wrong. Did you had a chance to use WD utility to check the status of the drive? If it's a "partitioning went bad " thing , that utility should help ?
    AFAIK it should have no problem but here is the link to the latest BIOS for it. http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V8X-X&Type=Latest
    And yes it's possible to boot from cd rom instead of floppy.

3. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

how would you go about loading the new bios from a cd?
    bios doesn't even recognise the drive.... (it's hooked up to an ata card and I don't think the a7v8x-x reads them... maybe that's why the bios needs to be upgraded..??

thanks for the replies

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have an a7v8x-x in one of my computers. It reads controller cards just fine. This one is using a rocketraid133 card. What os are you using? I ask because xp prior to sp1 had a 137 gig limit for the os. Win2k was sp3 [I think it has been a while since I used sp3] before the limitation was fixed.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As to updating the bios, it is the bios on the controller card that reads the drive. Not the system bios. You "may" need to update a controller card bios, however I cannot believe WD would ship a 250 gig hd with a card limited to a lesser amount.

6. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

I'm using Windows XP Pro. The card is an Ultra ATA Controller Card. The card came with the hard drive. Along with it 2 floppy's ( Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools & Ultra ATa Controller Card Driver Disk Version 1.0). Please keep in mind though that I don't have a working floppy. :( I just wanted to think you guys again for the replies.. keep em comin'

7. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

sorry another thing... how do i find out what service pack i currently have installed.. when i go to windows update.. i have EVRYTHING downloaded.. but does that necessarily means it's installed?

8. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

In the case that I just did something stupid and partitioned the hard drive the wrong way. Would I be able to just format it to the 250 gig through windows?? I ask this because when I go into My Computer and right click the drive and hit FORMAT. I can only format it to a 127 Gig capacity.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Right click on the "mycomputer" icon, go to properties and left click. It will say something like windows xp build 2600 service pack1A.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to disk management. Control panel>admin tools>computer management> disk management should be on the left. Click it and it will show you everything about your hd. From DM you can create / delete / format partitions. Note you must be logged on as admin or account with admin rights to use disk management.

11. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

In reply to your 1st reply.. it says Service Pack 1 (Thanks for telling me how to find it BTW..

As far as the 2nd.. when I go into computer management, device drivers, it shows up both hard drives...
    WDC WD25 00JB-00EVAO SCSI Disk Device (The New 250 Gig)
    EDC WD400BB-00CLB0 (The Older 40 Gig)

When I double click the new hd, and go to the volumes tab it says (101062 MB) still

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does disk management show any unallocated space? If is does you can just create a partition in the unallocated space. If you do not have anything important on the drive, you can partition it however you want. The important thing is that it show the full size of the drive in disk management.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Make sure you are in disk management, it sounds like you might be in device manager. An easier way to get to disk management is to go to the mycomputer icon right click go down to manage and left click disk management is a folder on the left side. Double click on it and disk management will open.

14. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

Yea I tried to partition it again through disk management and it still limited me to only 127 Gig. :(
    There has to be some way to fix this...

15. Nixon29

Nixon29 Thread Starter

how do you upgrade the bios of the motherboard with a cd?? Is there anyway to load the files from the floppy to the cd and boot the cd to act as a floppy... Can anyone give a step by step instructional?? Thanks guys :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice