1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus A7V8X

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1dummy, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1dummy

1dummy Thread Starter

Hello all.

I decided to build my first system for fun and I'm having problems getting to first base. I have an Asus A7V8X motherboard connected to a 400 watt PowMax power supply in a PowMax case with 256 mb DDR pc2100 and an AMD 2100+ cpu. I have all of this connected together and when I powered the thing up for the first time I received a yellow light on the motherboard where a green power light should appear (SB_PWR1) (the cpu fan wans't even running). I shut the thing down and unplugged the power and changed some of my system pannel connectors, turned the computer back on and now the only light that I have on the motherboard is an orange light at the ethernet port (the cpu fan still isn't running). I wouldn't think that just changing my system pannel connections would cause me to loose my yellow light (it is supposed to be green anyway). The system pannel connectors are very confusing for me to connect this PowMax case to the Asus A7V8X motherboard. I even tried connecting my old 250 w. power supply and I received the same results. (I know this ps works)

I looked through my owners manual for the Asus motherboard and it said nothing about the SW_PWR1 light ever being a yellow color. I tried getting on Asus' forums and couldn't access thieir site. I'm at a loss right now. Does it sound like the motherboard might be DOA?

Thanks for any and all suggestions or directions.

If one thinks the mb is DOA, how much luck do you think I will have in getting a replacement from Asus. I bought it from a guy on Yahoo Auctions (retail box). Kinda wish I'd just bought it at the store and paid the extra bucks now.

1dummy

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Asus will not reply to end users, only to their authorized resellers.

My first suspicion is that you do not have the power-on terminal connected correctly. Next, check the CMOS-clear jumper.

Next step: I would take the board out of the case, place it on a test bed and try it there. If it works, you most likely have something in the case touching that should not.

3. 1dummy

1dummy Thread Starter

Alex Ethridge, thanks for the reply..

I tried clearing the CMOS and I put the jumper back in its normal position. This didn't work.

I took the mb out of the case, thinking that it might be grounded somehow. I set it up with only the basics on the foam support that came in the box. Cpu, fan, memory, power supply and nothing happens when I power it up. The fan doesn't run or anything.

The power supply will only connect to the mb one way accoring to the manual and that is the way that I have it connected. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I read through the entire manual.

I registered my Asus MB on their site. Since I have the retal box version I have a 3 year warranty amd you stated that 'Asus will not reply to end users, only to their authorized resellers'. Are you saying that they will not replace my mb if in fact it is DOA?

Thanks,

1dummy

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

My experience has been that you have to take the board back to the authorized reseller and let them contact Asus for you. I, too, hope you haven't shafted yourself by purchasing on E-Bay.

There is a set of two terminals on the main board's terminal block that are the power-on terminals. ATX boards are never really "off". They are always in a state of deep sleep and power is maintained to portions of the boards as long as the power supply is connected to the board. The power-on terminals are what bring the board out of the deep sleep state.

If yours is a tower case, look at the bottom right of the board. There are two rows of 10 pins each, a total of twenty pins in the front panel terminals. These are connected to such things as your power LED on the front of the case, the hard disk activity LED, etc. Also the power switch terminals are there. Find the Power switch connector that connects to the front of the case and connect it across the fifth and sixth pins on the bottom row of pins. If that doesn't work, try across the sixth and seventh. You cannot damage anything if it is wrong and it might work on one or the other or even both. Press the power-on switch on the front of the case to test it each time.

If the board is still on the test bed, you can short them temporarily with a metal object. Short for about a quarter to a half second then remove the short. Holding them shorted will turn it on, then off after a few seconds.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice