1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raylana, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raylana

raylana Thread Starter

I am having a computer built with the Asus A8N SLI Motherboard and have done a lot of research. I know that I need to replace the chipset fan with the Zalman cnps7000B-cu cpu cooler but getting confused about the best hard drive (in the 250 to 300 G category) and memory to have installed. Also, any suggestions on the AMD processor? The computer tech who is building it recommends the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ but I know that the dual core processors are now being offered. Because I will probably keep this new computer for at least 10 years (the one that I use now is 10 years old - still chuggs along) I try to get a computer with 'top of the line' hardware. Also, he recommends Windows XP Home but a lot of people state that the only way to go is Xp Pro??? I've been researching all of this for 3 weeks and I'm starting to feel that I need a brain transplant. I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions or comments.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

All right so you are going with the 939! If you really want THE best processor, go either AMD 64 fx57 or 4800 x2. They will both cost you about a $1000.
    If you want to stay around the $350 mark, the 90nm 64 3700 is a good choice.
    As far as Hard drives go, reccomend a 7200 rpm 8mb cache SATA, if you go Seagate you can even get native command queing! Two of these in a raid 0,1 and you have a OS that runs like you put it on a 20,000 rpm hard drive.(not quite but it is damn fast and safe.)
    I would say go for Pro if you won't upgrade to Longhorn, home if you will upgrade. If you want to be safe and don't mind everything not running perfectly everytime. Go SUSE or Redhat Linux.
    RAM, don't go generic. PNY, Kingston are good, I can't remember if this board supportd dual channel or not, but if it does make sure you buy in pairs to get the best performance.
    Scatter brained approach to helping, sorry but I hope I helped

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

There is nothing safe about RAID-0, you are twice as likely to lose everything in a hard disk crash as you are with a single drive. And RAID-0+1 requires 4 drives. It certainly will not perform like a "20,000rpm" hard disk, or even close. RAID-0 offers almost no performance benefit at all for most users, this issue has been discussed at length on forums such as www.storagereview.com

I have to wonder why you suddenly suggested they run Linux there, are you prepared to spend a few months teaching them how to use it? ;)

Of course the board supports dual-channel, all socket 939 boards do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice