ASUS A8N-SLI Not Working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

old wrinkly

Sorry this is a rather long first post.

I have just recently bought a bare bones system comprising an ASUS A8N-SLI with an AMD 64 BIT XP Dual 3800 Skt 939 +2GB Ram and 2 x Maxtor SATA 2Gb drives, 256MB RADEON x300 tV/dvi PCI-Express GRAPHICS CARD. BIOS Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1011,26/07/2005.

The system came preinstalled in a Thermaltake Shark case. with a 650W Q-TEC Triple Fan PSU. Model PS158G

Since getting the system I have added a Pioneer DVR-108 and my two old IDE drives plus a PCI modem card from my old machine. I've used brand new round cables for the IDE connections.

Until just before Christmas everything was fine but then one morning I booted up from cold and instead of the normal one beep and then seeing the POST screen there were two longish beeps (probably about 2 secs duration each) and the system immediately shut down. I then pressed the power button again and the system started OK.

This happened again the next day, I then had a couple of days break when the system started OK before it happened again.

After a few days the system gave one long beep (about 2 secs) on cold start and there was no display not even during POST. Leaving the power on I could hear the Windows longon theme tune and I could see my shared folders over my home network when using my wife's PC.

I notified the supplier and their reply was

Things I would try :

Reseating the processor and memory and any other add-on cards

Make sure all power cables are in OK

Most likely it is a loose connection / fitting. You would expect a faulty component to not work at all

I replied back that whilst I was happy to try and check the memory, the graphics card and the PCI modem were seated OK I wasn't prepared to try and reseat the processor.!

Had further contact with supplier tech support who then said it could be a video driver problem and suggested I boot up in SAFE MODE and check. Took several emails before they realised that without a display this wasn't possible and I had been talking about hearing the Windows logon theme tune not seeing the logo.

Went onto the ASUS forum and saw a couple of people with similar problems and it was suggested I remove the PCI Express card and try a standard PCI graphics card. Read similar thoughts on another forum I found.

Did that and got a display but it was garbled video, one person described it as tearing screen which seemed most apt. Had to set the video to 800 by 600 Medium 16 Bit. Left the system running for a couple of hours and at times it was OK but kept degenrating into the tearing screen display when I was browsing. Had to reboot to restore display.

Eventually reboot only produced one long beep and no display. Installed the PCI card in an old system and it worked so it's obviously not fried.

Reinstalled the PCI Express card but this time the system gave the one long beep but no display and the OS was not running. The hdd led flashed a couple of times and I could hear the floppy drive work.

I had been concentrating on it being a simple video card issue as this eemed to be the most logical but a couple of people on the forums had suggested that might not be the case and it could be a PSU or motherboard problem manifesting itself.

I have been in contact with my supplier and I'm waiting their response but I am concerned that despite their requests to remove and refit various components they may use the fact that by fitting a PCI card I have invalidated my warranty although I was assured on the forums that this could not damage the motherboard.

I would be grateful if you could advise me as to what you think the problem might be and if there is anything else I can try.

incidentally found my way here by clicking a link on my suppliers web site.http://www.acmw.co.uk/techhelp2.htm

Thanks

Have you been able to try the video card that came with your computer on another system? The old PCI card seems to work somewhat and perhaps thats just a driver problem.

old wrinkly

norton850 said:
Have you been able to try the video card that came with your computer on another system? The old PCI card seems to work somewhat and perhaps thats just a driver problem.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a system with PCI-Express so haven't been able to test it which would have been the logical thing to do.

I'm not a complete novice as far as computers are concerned, I have built three systems of my own as well as helping friends with theirs, so plugging things in and out isn't too much of a concern nor is basic trouble shooting. Usually I would have spare components around that I could swap about which very often brings the problem to light. I always use proper anti-static protection when working inside the PC.

Thought this time I would buy a bare bones system rather than self build in order to safe time!

The original problem with cold starting seems to have been a precursor to a failure in the system somewhere but the circumstances where things work one moment and not the next has got be completely baffled.

The Trident PCI card I got s/h off eBay a couple of days ago just for testing purposes but I understand that Trident don't have a very good reliability record. I might reinstall it on my other old system just to confirm it's still working although that's not much help with the new system.

I've noticed that the RAM on my new system is 4 x 512MB Twinmos PC3200 (CL 2.5). Model M2G9J16A-MK. This is not a memory manufacturer that I'm familiar with. I would normally only install Crucial as I've always found it to be reliable.

Likewise I remember reading sometime ago that QTEC PSU's are very much budget and not always reliable. Not had one before so can't speak from personal experience.

Still can't work out why the system was running the OS when the PCI-Express card was installed before, even when there wasn't any display, but now it doesn't, unless whatever was failing has now done just that.

I don't think I have done anything unusual or unsafe to cause the system not to power up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online