1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus A8NSli-SE AC97 audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlanBeard, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

right, built a computer for someone and the only thing i didn't test was the audio, and naturally, this is the only thing that doesn't work properly. it's using the above board with the onboard sound with XP Pro and SP2. latest drivers installed, it's showing correctly in Device Manager. checked the BIOS (latest rev), and AC97 Audio is enabled. he's tried it with speakers and headphones, in both the fp audio and in the back, to no avail. uninstalled and reinstalled drivers too. i'd rather not have to RMA the board, already had to return the original board from this machine once as it was faulty. any ideas?

2. bigbear

bigbear

If you check the manual I think you will find you have to remove a couple of jumpers if you have the front speakers hooked up

3. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

i've got the pdf manual open now, but i can't seem to find that anywhere

*edit* nope, only jumpers listed are the bios reset

4. bigbear

bigbear

Do you have the front speakers hooked up?
    Are there two jumpers on the internal audio connecter?

5. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

there were, not entirely sure what i did with them. i think they were covering the pins i wanted to use though.

*edit* yes, according to the manual, the jumpers covered the line out pins.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. bigbear

bigbear

Thats right you have to remove them to hook up the front speakers.
    Try replacing them and see if you can get the rear speakers working, this will at least establish if there is a problem with the onboard sound.
    If the sound drivers are loaded and device manager reports everything is ok, then I suspect there is a problem with the onboard sound itself.

8. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

trouble being, the pc is about 200 miles away heh. he knows someone who's knowledgeable he can ask to do it for him though, i'll see if he can give it a try. he's downloading the drivers now

9. zeddy

zeddy

http://www.pcper.com/image.php?aid=98&img=board_big.jpg If you look at the rear of the motherboard near the audio outputs close the the PCI SLI solt you will se a set of pins with two jumpers on them..........this is what the previous posters were taliking about. In the manual it should detail which of that jumper set needs to be in place to enable front audio out, or rear audio etc.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its easy to take it off, it can be a lot harder to put back on if each wire is separate an d not labeled the same as on the motherboard - if the connector isn't a once piece deal make sure he makes note of where each wire goes.

11. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

yes, they're no longer on the pins as i connected the fp audio to them instead. the jumpers cover the pins that i needed. yes Triple6, i had a devil of a time working it out myself, Asus's labelling doesn't correspond to the labelling on the pins, but after a bit of confusion i got it sorted.

12. zeddy

zeddy

so you cant post this as solved?

13. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

not yet, as the drivers are only downloading at about 5kb/s, so he doesn't even have them to try them out at the mo.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice