1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus AC2600 Wired Connection/Ethernet Settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chilling, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilling

chilling Thread Starter

Blue Cave Wireless-AC2600 Dual Band Gigabit router

I am in the process of designing my wired network/Ethernet. I got the Asus AC2600 but don't plan on using the wireless connection. I am looking for detailed and specific settings for the wired connection. I am listing the following areas that I have questions, whether the settings would be required for the wired connection or not. I reviewed the user guide and picked those sections for now that I think may or may not affect the wired connection.

The guide for the AC2600 describes in details about establishing the physical wired connection but then describes about the wireless settings for the wireless connection for the rest of the guide.

Configuring the General Settings

From the navigation panel on the left side of the Web GUI, right below where it says “General”, there is an option for the “Network Map” screen. From this option, to the far right there are 2 tabs to configure the following for the wireless dual bands:

-SSID,

-Security level

-Encryption settings

For wired connection, this is not required. Is this correct?

--------

For wired connection, does AiProtection apply?

When scanning for the Network Protection, will the Router Security Assessment display results for the wired connection?

From the “Router Security Assessment” page, will the “Secure Your Router” selection work with wired connection?

--------

From the navigation panel, right below where it says “AiProtection”, there is an option for the “Traffic Manager” settings. From this option, there is the “QoS” tab:

“Quality of Service” lets you set the bandwidth priority and manage network traffic.

Do the bandwidth priority settings apply to the wired connection? Are bandwidth settings only for dual bands and not wire connection/Ethernet?

Configuring the Advanced Settings

From the navigation panel, right below where it says “Advanced Settings”, there is an option for the “Wireless” settings. From this option, there are several tabs:

-General

-WPS

-WDS

-Wireless MAC Filter

-RADIUS Setting

-Professional

Which tab requires settings to be filled in to configure the wired connection?

-------------

Below the “Wireless” option, there is the “LAN” option. From this option, there are several tabs:

-LAN IP

-DHCP Server

-Route

-IPTV

-Switch Control

-----------

Below the “LAN” option, there is the “WAN” option. From this option, there are several tabs:

-Internet Connection

-Port Trigger

-Virtual Server / Port Forwarding

-DDNS

-NAT Passthrough

-----------

Below the “VPN” option, there is the “Firewall" option. From this option, there are several tabs:

-General

-URL Filter

-Keyword Filter

-Network Services Filter

-IPv6 Firewall

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi,

These settings are solely for Wi-Fi:
    -SSID,
    -Security level
    -Encryption settings
    However, since there is no choice for Turning OFF wireless, you should just bang on your keyboard randomly typing in gibberish for the WPA2 encryption key. (Advanced > Wireless) When you don't know the encryption key yourself, you can't compromise it :)

AI-Protection seems to work also for the wired network. The 2-way IPS and Infected Device Prevention does cover the wired network. Site blocking also works for wired.

QoS covers both wired and wireless. It allows you to prioritize certain traffic. Maybe you can prioritize video streaming, for instance.

These only concern wireless:
    -WPS
    -WDS
    -Wireless MAC Filter
    -RADIUS Setting
    -Professional

LAN option:
    -LAN IP allows you to set the ip address of the router itself. This is the 'gateway ip' as displayed with the ipconfig command in the command prompt.
    -DHCP Server : set the IP Pool Starting and IP Pool Ending to specify the maximum ip addresses the DHCP will give out. If you have 3 PCs, then only set 3 ip's.
    Route and IPTV does not have to be touched

WAN - Internet Connection: do not touch unless your ISP tells you to. If internet is working then nothing here needs to be changed.
    Port trigger and Port forwarding and DDNS work for wired and wireless. You don't need to configure these until you have specific applications that require these.
    \
    IPv6 firewall: can't find this in the online manual.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!