1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus ATi Radeon 9600XT Windows startup problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Autotechnica, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Autotechnica

Autotechnica Thread Starter

When I install all the newest drivers on my system (both ATI and nVidia m/b drivers) it will work perfectly for about a week. After numerous system reboots and about a week later, the computer will start up then the monitor will go into standby mode. In the ATi FAQ section it says that this was normal after the first time installation. However, this was not the first installation. The computer has been running for at least a week. I decided to leave the PC on over night to see if the video card was configuring something, the next day, it was still on standby mode. No response. The only way I could get windows to boot up again would be to uninstall the ATi and nVidia drivers drivers and then reinstall them all over again. Then the same thing would repeat itself. It would work for a short time, then go into standby mode again after numerous reboots. I sent the card in for warranty as I thought there may be a problem with it. After I got a brand new boxed version back, it started to do exactly the same thing again. I've tried formatting and reinstalling windows, still the same thing. All my hardware is brand new. I'm using the Asus ATI 9600XT 128MB card and AMD Athlon 2800+XP CPU, 512MB 400MHz PC-3200 DDR ram, Asus A7N8X-X motherboard with all the most updated drivers. Are there issues with hardware compatability?

Thanks,

Bryan

Attached Files:

2. Autotechnica

Anyone else have this problem? Need help asap. Thanks

3. colmaca

colmaca

you could try go to display properties/settings/advanced/smartgart(tm)
    tick fast write off apply then reboot
    sometimes some ati cards crash when fast write is on for some reason,as fast write don't do much anyway i would try that

4. Autotechnica

Good idea, thanks! :)

5. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

I have the same board and the same vid card and the same ram, and I have no problems at all ...

The only diff is...I am not using the motherboard's AGP drivers, I am just using the default windowsXP ones. I had problems when running with the nvidia AGP drivers too.

6. Autotechnica

What kind of problems did you have using the nVidia drivers? I heard there is a huge performance difference if you don't install the nVidia drivers. Did you install the IDE nVidia drivers?

thanks,

Bry

7. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

Nope, I didn't install the nVidia drivers. They were causing my system to behave erradically, so I am living with the performance hit from using the generic drivers.

8. Autotechnica

Thanks, hopefully some new releases in the future of the nVidia or ATi drivers will address this issue.

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That is crazy. I am running the same board and before I got this card was running a 9600 xt. Never a problem. Are you getting the drivers from Nvidia or Asus? Also what bios are you running? I am running the 1009 bios, and the latest Nforce drivers and not a problem. Weird. The 9600 xt ran on the same bios, but not the same drivers.

10. Autotechnica

I've tried using the ATi drivers that came with the board and I've downloaded new drivers "catalyst" drivers from ATi's website. I've also tried using the "Omega" drivers, all produced the same results. Anyways, I've downloaded all my mobo drivers directly from the nVidia website. The problem only occurs after a short period of time. However, after the problem has occured, I cannot get into windows until I remove all the drivers or use "safe mode".

I'm using the 1009 BIOS too.

thanks,

Bry

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

There is a bios flash for our board. I don't need it so I didn't check on what it corrects. You might want to look into it. Bios 1010.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice