ASUS bios - OMG!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Delete-Me

Seriously, Asus has got to have one of the most useless bioses know to man.

Now I'm interested in changing my FAST WRITE AGP speed and my AGP APERTURE speed so i can get the 7800gs 256mb video card running. I heard this bios setting has helped MOST users who are having trouble with this video card!

Now i know ASUS cannot enable fastwrite options or aperture (cuz i researched on google for like 5 hours). I was wondering if it's possible to maybe flash the bios and give it some new settings, using a program like NiBiToR to save the settings.

If anyone has ANY clue on how to fix the BIOS problem i have with AGP settings, i'm all ears :).

THANKS!

EDIT: CTRL+F1 does not open hidden settings unfortunatley ...

Delete-Me

Also, would anyone know of another type of bios that might work on an ASUS? I heard that some bioses have used other brands and work, but i'm not going to risk it unless it's at least 75% certainty of saftey :).

Triple6

Rob
Flashing a BIOS not intended for your motherbaord is good way to render your motherboard dead. I strongly suggest you don't go trying to flash a BIOS not intended for your exact motherboard.

I would suggest you start by telling us what motherboord you have and what version of BIOS you have. And what problems are you having with the 7800GS.

Also its rare for either of those settings ot make any difference on new motherbaords with new video cards.

Delete-Me

Well this link (1st post) relates to my 7800gs problems:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=13412&st=0

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Yale 1.xx
Serial Number: X312345678
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz (x4, obviously)
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.28 08/27/2004

my PC is a Compaq Presario S5080AN model, sorry i can't find what type of mother board it is exactly :(.

EDIT: looks like it's a P4SD-LA

Delete-Me

Is it possible to flash the bios and in that stage, change the apeture size? If so, i would really like to know how to do this! No matter what the risk :D

crjdriver

Ok, first of all it is an asus board mfg for compaq. When asus does this, it is a crippled bios. They [compaq] specify what options will be available. You should not use a bios downloaded from asus's site; make sure you download the bios from compaq.

I am far from a fan of asus, however do not blame asus for what compaq did.

To answer your question, yes it is possible to mod the bios file. I have done this on a number of occasions for people. It requires a bios editor and someone with a reasonable amount of computer skill to mod the bios. In addition you are taking a very real risk that you will render the system unbootable; one key stroke or typing error when doing the mod will do this.

crjdriver

One more thing. I would not put a lot of time into trying to upgrade a compaq. You are going to have more problems down the line due to the increased power requirements of that card. If you want a top of the line system for gaming or whatever, you will be better off by getting a real motherboard, power supply, and case.

Delete-Me

I'm confused about what to do at this stage.
I got a 7800gs $500 video card.
I got a mobo that i CAN NOT use anymore (i can, but i will not!!!)
It's either get an AGP supported mobo, or a PCI-E mobo, but if i get PCI-E, It will make my expensive new video card useless!!
I've thought about an AGP + PCI-E mobo, but all the ones i can find are for AMD's.

Not sure what i should do atm.
But i'm not 100% sure it's my mobo that is causing the problem.
So it's a toss between:
Sell (a possible faulty) 7800gs and get PCI-E mobo and a new card.
Get a new AGP mobo that has a good bios
Get a new AGP + PCI-E mobo
Buy a totally new system and add on my current 2gig ram onto it, along with 370gigs of hard drive space and my duel layer burner.

MMM. The only problem with buying a new mobo is that i have NO CLUE what sockets 767, or socket 948 (or WHATEVER) are. What are sockets exactly (i searched google, didn't help).

crjdriver

Sockets refers to what type of cpu you have. It sounds like you have an intel; probably a 478 or maybe a 775 socket.

If you do get a new board, you will need a new case as well. Compaqs are proprietary; that is a new board will not fit in the compaq case.

If it were me, I would try and return / rma the video card and go with a modern motherboard, case, power supply and pci express video.

You are just wasting your time and money trying to upgrade a compaq. They are really not upgradeable [other than say installing more ram or a bigger hd]

Delete-Me

I can't return, and not sure what RMA is... i bought this vid card from a computer fair and i don't have my reciept :'(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online