Solved Asus desktop Computer always boots into BIOS first

taxihuyenbi

"disable fast boot" in BIOS, yes I did it a few times following instruction online. not help!

Gr3iz

Mark
I, then, am at a loss. Hopefully someone else may come up with other suggestions. Sorry.

Gr3iz

Mark
You are most welcome! I hope someone else can come up with another suggestion!

FWIW, I agree with Mark. The hard drive is not spinning up and getting ready to go fast enough. So when the BIOS checks to see if it's there (etc.) and doesn't receive a response, it simply continues without it.

crjdriver

As far as I known, when I shut the PC down for 1 hour, the electricity power will be cut off totally from the motherboard
Wrong. Modern boards have pw applied ALL of the time; even when OFF. This is how a usb is able to charge a phone, tablet, whatever when the system is OFF.
I cannot read your screenshot; too small and not real clear. It looks like the drive passed. If that was both the long and short tests, then the drive is probably OK.

Many Asus motherboards have a bios setting for delay or spin up of the hard drive. Check your manual to see if you have this option.
HDD Seagate is new
That does not mean much. A new part can be DOA or faulty.
I would tend to think Mark is correct in that your drive is not spinning up quickly enough. Since most people have a ssd for a boot or system drive, modern motherboards have cut the spin up time for a drive during POST.

Gr3iz

Mark
Thanks guys! I feel vindicated. I was hoping there wasn't something obvious I was overlooking.

taxihuyenbi

Yesterday I did an experiment: connecting that HDD to another healthy windows 10 PC and pressed the power button, the BIOS couldn’t find any bootable device, so the HDD is the culprit here.

I reinstalled windows 10 home 64 bit from a DVD on that HDD to make sure it’s a clean installation. I shut down the PC and waited for 1 hour and pressed the power button: boot into BIOS again and the HDD was not on the Boot menu!

I opened cmd and run diskpart then list disk as other guys said, there I found that the HDD is MBR, but my Asus motherboard is UEFI (Asus H81M-R), so I tried to convert the HDD to GPT.

Then I go to BIOS setting and reset it to Default – save – exit.

I am shutting the pc down for 1 hour then turning it on again to see if it works and let you know the result. Thanks for all help.

crjdriver

Yesterday I did an experiment: connecting that HDD to another healthy windows 10 PC and pressed the power button, the BIOS couldn’t find any bootable device, so the HDD is the culprit here.

I reinstalled windows 10 home 64 bit from a DVD on that HDD to make sure it’s a clean installation.
That makes no sense. Why would you keep trying to install when you know the drive has problems???

taxihuyenbi

I am afraid that the HDD doesn’t have physical fault (it’s a new one) but the format of it MBR is not compatible with the UEFI motherboard so someone said it should be converted from MBR to GPT (MBR HDD just compatible with Legacy BIOS) so I give it a try. Now I am waiting to see if it fixs the problem. Thanks

taxihuyenbi

well, it doesn't work even my HDD format is GPT now, the symptom is still there and unidentified.

crjdriver

As stated in post #22, just because it is new does NOT mean it works.
FWIW I am not a fan of seagate drives. WD black series is a much better way to go. They cost more however I have never had a WD black or raptor drive fail.

taxihuyenbi

this Asus motherboard used to function normally with windows 7 64 bit HDD. That's why I m thinking to install Windows 7 on this new HDD to check what will happen. I m just worry that may cause damage to the HDD because it already got windows 10 on it and all of the current drivers will need to be changed as well

Gr3iz

Mark
You could put DOS 3.3 on it and you'd still have the same problem. What you are seeing is happening before it ever even attempts to boot into Windows whatever. The drive is not coming ready before the m/b POST pings it to see if it is there. It has not yet begun to boot. The m/b is saying "Are you there? What are you?" before the BIOS kicks in to start the boot process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online