Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asus desktop Computer always boots into BIOS first

1K views 36 replies 4 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
Please watch here

#2 ·
There is no drive listed under SATA other than your Optical Drive (CD/DVD drive).

What that means is your BIOS cannot find an attached hard drive (or SSD) to boot from. If you do have one, it is either missing, disconnected somehow or it has died and needs to be replaced and an Operating System (such as Windows) will need to be installed.

#3 ·
the point is the missing of the HDD is not permanent but only at the first turning on of pc. from that BIOS screen, I just pushed the Reset button (10 minutes ago) and Windows 10 starts normally that means the BIOS has found the HDD. it's not a big deal but I don't know why the POST process was unable to find the HDD first but then it would find it with the Reset button! this is so weird!

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Possibly the HDD is starting to go south and is taking a long time to come ready. By the time you press the reset button, the drive is ready to boot.

#5 ·
As far as I known, when I shut the PC down for 1 hour, the electricity power will be cut off totally from the motherboard, when I press the power button to turn the pc on, the BIOS will runs the POST process:

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/POST-Power-On-Self-Test

and it always fails to find the HDD to boot so it goes to BIOS like that. But at that moment, when I press the Reset button

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reset_button

windows would start normally!

So the point here is: why the first POST fails? Something is wrong with that first scan?

#22 ·
As far as I known, when I shut the PC down for 1 hour, the electricity power will be cut off totally from the motherboard
Wrong. Modern boards have pw applied ALL of the time; even when OFF. This is how a usb is able to charge a phone, tablet, whatever when the system is OFF.
I cannot read your screenshot; too small and not real clear. It looks like the drive passed. If that was both the long and short tests, then the drive is probably OK.

Many Asus motherboards have a bios setting for delay or spin up of the hard drive. Check your manual to see if you have this option.
HDD Seagate is new
That does not mean much. A new part can be DOA or faulty.
I would tend to think Mark is correct in that your drive is not spinning up quickly enough. Since most people have a ssd for a boot or system drive, modern motherboards have cut the spin up time for a drive during POST.

#6 ·
Have you another HDD or SSD you could use to experiment with? I suspect yours may be going bad, as I said above ...

#10 ·
You said it was a new drive. I thought that meant that you had replaced the drive. Is this system new to you? Did you get it with no drive? Or have you just built it? We don't know the history ...

As I said, the symptoms exhibited seem to indicate a drive problem. It does not come ready soon enough.

#12 ·
So, prior to the old HDD going bad, the system did not exhibit these symptoms, correct? If that is true, it seems to point a big red finger at that HDD. I know it is new, but it happens.

Can you try to run Seagate's diags (Seatools) on it? You can download and install on a USB flashdrive and boot from it. That may not show anything since once it is running, it works fine.

#13 ·
Thanks. I’ ll check it out soon.

Before the previous HDD died, when I turned the pc on, the American Megatrends screen showed up again and again and instructed me to hit “F1” to start Windows so I did it, then the HDD died later.

The mystery is: when I push the power button, why the BIOS can find the DVD ROM but can’t find HDD? Eventhough both are well-connected? But why the BIOS will find the HDD then if I press the RESET button?

#14 ·
The BIOS should detect both the DVD and HDD devices. What I'm suspecting, however, is that the HDD is not spinning up and coming ready (meaning going through it's own POST-like activities and letting the system know that it is present and ready to go) quickly enough. I'm not sure, however, if that behavior will be detected by the Seatools diagnostics, if that is, in fact, what's happening.

#18 ·
I, then, am at a loss. Hopefully someone else may come up with other suggestions. Sorry.

#21 ·
FWIW, I agree with Mark. The hard drive is not spinning up and getting ready to go fast enough. So when the BIOS checks to see if it's there (etc.) and doesn't receive a response, it simply continues without it.

#24 ·
Yesterday I did an experiment: connecting that HDD to another healthy windows 10 PC and pressed the power button, the BIOS couldn’t find any bootable device, so the HDD is the culprit here.

I reinstalled windows 10 home 64 bit from a DVD on that HDD to make sure it’s a clean installation. I shut down the PC and waited for 1 hour and pressed the power button: boot into BIOS again and the HDD was not on the Boot menu!

I opened cmd and run diskpart then list disk as other guys said, there I found that the HDD is MBR, but my Asus motherboard is UEFI (Asus H81M-R), so I tried to convert the HDD to GPT.

Then I go to BIOS setting and reset it to Default – save – exit.

I am shutting the pc down for 1 hour then turning it on again to see if it works and let you know the result. Thanks for all help.

#25 ·
Yesterday I did an experiment: connecting that HDD to another healthy windows 10 PC and pressed the power button, the BIOS couldn't find any bootable device, so the HDD is the culprit here.

I reinstalled windows 10 home 64 bit from a DVD on that HDD to make sure it's a clean installation.
That makes no sense. Why would you keep trying to install when you know the drive has problems???

#26 ·
I am afraid that the HDD doesn’t have physical fault (it’s a new one) but the format of it MBR is not compatible with the UEFI motherboard so someone said it should be converted from MBR to GPT (MBR HDD just compatible with Legacy BIOS) so I give it a try. Now I am waiting to see if it fixs the problem. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.