1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS EEE PC 900hd new OS?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by MPeg3, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to put this. My niece has a ASUS EEE PC 900hd that nothing we do will make it go online. According to some of their forums, it is a software issue. However, none of the places where they said to go for the updates seem to be in operation anymore. It is over a year old. It seems to have some special Linux OS and I am wondering if we could replace the OS with a new updated Linux OS, if it might fix things, or would it even work. I don't want to ruin it totally for her.

Thanks for any help.
    Peg

2. Wino

Wino

From the following link, appears the Linux version maybe Xandros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC

Can you not get online with hard wire or wireless or both don't work? I'm not familiar with Xandros (I use ubuntu), but see no reason that you couldn't install another distro, but not sure that will resolve your problem. If it was working and isn't now, I would suspect a hardware failure, but doubt it would affect both wired and wireless. Wireless can be cantankerous to get working in Linux at times, but would think your 900HD would work right out of the box wired or wireless.

Is there a router in your niece's network system?

In any case, I'm not much help not being knowledgeable with Xandros, so be patient, a Linux guru will be along shortly. Good luck.

3. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will have to get that information. She lives in another town and is in school so it will take a while, but those are, of course, questions that would make a difference.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could also be Linpus Lite. Or, if you like video.

I tried a LiveCD of Linpus Lite once, figuring I could then help people here with "simple" problems. I couldn't figure out how to do anything useful (such as get a wireless connection) with it, so gave up quickly.

You can try many Linux distributions w/o installing until you know you want it. Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix may be a good choice. Ubuntu 10.04 is to be released late this month; don't know if that will include the Netbook Remix.

5. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of that. I will give it a try.

Peg

6. liquid_vision

liquid_vision

Sorry to have to outright disagree with the previous poster, but there is only one linux OS worth bothering with on an EeePC.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04.

I have just set it up on my girlfriend's EeePC 701SD, and it runs perfectly.

The Xandros install on the machine originally would connect to a WEP network, but not WPA, and even then, the connection is intermittent.

Ubuntu NBR 9.04 comes packaged in a .IMG file, and installs really well on the Eee.

Everything worked out of the box, although the netbook friendly front end isn't exactly ideal on a ow powered machine.

However, switching back to the normal Gnome desktop (there is a program which will make the change for you with one click) sped things up brilliantly.

There is also a fantastic walkthrough guide which talks you through configuring ubuntu for use on small, low powered machines with solid state disks.

After about 3 hours from start to finish, the result was a machine which connects to WEP, 128bit WEP (both ASCII and HEX), WPA, and open networks, has a very usable screen resolution, boots in 20 seconds from power on, is VERY quick in use, and is an absolute pleasure to use.

Basic install guide

http://www.jpierre.com/2009/04/inst...4-jaunty-jackelope-on-eee-pc-the-howto-guide/

Tweaking ubuntu for small screens

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Using

Installing from a USB pen drive

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Installation

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The previous poster said that she would give Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix a try. Why do you disagree with that?

8. liquid_vision

liquid_vision

Ooops. Sorry, my disagreement was with the Linpus, not ubuntu 9.10.

As it happens, I am a fan of ubuntu 9.10, but the netbook remix is only available as a .ISO, not a .IMG, and I've been unable to convert it to an IMG for installation off a usb stick.

On a desktop, its rock solid stable, but I cannot vouch for it on a netbook.

Strictly speaking, 9.10 should be a lot better in use on an SSD, but I based my opinion on ease of installation, and as I only had a MacOS machine available to me at the time I set ubuntu up, i elected to stick with the prerolled img.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!