1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus Eee PC Wireless Network and Service Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GreenPilgrim, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenPilgrim

GreenPilgrim Thread Starter

Hi Forum,

This weekend my friend asked if I could fix her computer (because I write PHP code occasionally I must know how to fix computers...). The laptop is an Asus Eee PC X101CH running W7 Starter. The laptop was connecting to a wireless network but showing 'limited connectivity' and no web pages were loading. This is what I did:

- Tried running the network troubleshooter but it informed me that the 'Diagnostic Policy Service' was not running. Googled many fixes for this but basically there are many services, including Windows Firewall, that simply will not start. Tried executing batch commands, tried the FixIt tool from Microsoft but I keep getting an 'Error 5: Access Denied' error returned.
    - Uninstalled the wireless and network card drivers, let Windows re-install them. No luck.
    - Tried downloading newer drivers for the wireless card (Atheros AR9285) but problem still persisted.
    - Made sure the wireless adapter was obtaining an IP automatically - it was anyway.
    - I even took the battery out and drained it overnight as one poster said this worked (clutching at straws!)

Anyway, one of the many things I tried got the Internet to work for a short period despite the icon in the tray showing me that it's limited connectivity still.

However, there is now a huge lag, of sometimes around 20 minutes, from when the laptop boots to when it actually thinks about connecting.

When I try to enter 'Network and Sharing Center' for example, it hangs for 5 minutes and then says 'Server Execution Failed' and a wired connection does not appear to work.

I have read many similar posts and I think I have tried everything they have suggested. This laptop does not have an optical drive and I don't fancy using all my bandwidth to download a W7 ISO.

System restore will also not work, it keeps failing.

In a nutshell, I have a lot of services that will not start, even when executed as an administrator through command prompt. I would assume that these services are dependencies of other ones that make the wireless work properly. Is there a brute force way to make services start other than through command prompt?

Can anyone recommend a solution based on my ramblings?

Thanks in advance!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like bigger issues on that PC then just networking

it may have a virus/malware - that can often stop services - or the dependencies from running

try running fabar and see what it has to say - see below

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

Safemode with networking
    with a cable connected from PC to router
    check the cable - see if there is a light on the router associated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port (some PCs do not have any lights on the LAN port - so ignore)
    - try safemode with networking
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Services - Fabar Service Scanner, free

We would like to see some status information for each of the services on the PC goto

http://www.technibble.com/fabar-service-scanner/

and download the free scanner tool

Theres a Direct link to the program here
    http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FSS.exe

Now "double click" on the downloaded file to run the scanner , the scanner program will now open

tick all the options. and then click on scan

the scan results will open automatically in a seperate window in the notepad program.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

if you have any issues. A log file called FSS.txt will be created in the same directory as the program is run from.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice