1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

asus f3s laptop, blank screen on startup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hans4, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hans4

Hans4 Thread Starter

hi, my laptop broke about a year and a half ago. whenever it turns on, the screen lights up but nothing appears(although it still makes it's intro sound). when i try'd plugging it into a external monitor i had no luck. so im wondering what the problem might be, i'm thinking it might be that the graphics card got overheated or something, and if it did, is there anyway to replace that? the graphics card is an Nvidea Geforce 8600M GS

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When you plugged the external monitor in did you press the correct fn+F# key combination to activate the external video?

3. Hans4

Hans4 Thread Starter

ok be you a god? i hit the external minitor F-key and my screen started to work on my laptop again xD...wow i even took it to a computer guy and spent $100 to try and get it fixed, cant belive it was such an easy fix

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Glad I could help point you in the right direction. This is actually a fairly common thing. It took me 2 weeks to teach my 9yr old daughter about that on her netbook (mainly because she doesn't pay attention to me when it comes to computers.) If there are no further issues with this problem you can mark your thread solved. Happy computing!

5. Hans4

Hans4 Thread Starter

well now i have another question, i was able to get the computer running with vista and everything again, and i downloaded a program to keep track of the GPU heat( its called "speedfan") and it says that the computer is running at 91 degrees celcious when its not doing anything! is that possible? when i felt the bottom of the computer it didn't feel hot at all, could it be that the sensor to detect heat was damaged when it overheated?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  7. Hans4

Hans4 Thread Starter

hmmm it appears that it is reaching those temps, it even reached 103 while not running anything....any idea what the problem might be?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It could need a good blast of air through the vents to clear out dust.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I missed an important question. Are the temp readings being displayed in degrees centigrade or farenhiet? If Farenhiet the temps are not too bad.

10. Hans4

Hans4 Thread Starter

oh its centigrade, and i did use compressed air on the vents

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice