Solved ASUS g75vw Will not install OS...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Drogon

Hello,
I recently attempted to reboot/restore my laptop using three discs I created after purchasing the pc about three years ago. The process appears run correctly, but after the third disk is complete and installation is at 100%, the disk ejects and pc resarts. When the pc restarts it starts with a boot screen indicating I need to install my windows 7 installation disk. I tried this multiple times with the same results.

I contacted ASUS and they advised my disks I made could be the problem. I ordered new recovery disks from them, 64bit windows 7. I received two recovery disks.

When I booted my pc using my newly purchased disk, the computer starts with a loading screen, with a white bar going across the bottom of a black screen. After this process is complete the windows logo loads. After this there is a grey screen with a cursor and a loading wheel next to the cursor. After about three seconds on the screen the pc restarts and the process starts over again. I have tried this multiple times and appears to be in a continuous loop.

Any ideas how I can solve this problem?

There was a thread created about a year ago by JoeyG with almost exactly the same issue and same pc model. Thread name: "ASUS G75VW Will not reinstall OS"

plodr

Liz
Since you contacted ASUS and probably paid for new discs that don't seem to work, I'd contact them again. Explain to them that on their advice you bought other discs that did not solve the problem. Ask what they are going to do to help you.

Drogon

Thanks for the reply!

I contacted ASUS support, and attempted to solve the problem described above.

During the process they requested I try booting the pc without a disk. The pc loaded with the attached screen. Based on the information on this screen the Asus agent advised by hard drive is bad, and to fix the problem I need a new hard drive.

I thought I would get your opinions, to ensure there is something I might be missing.

When I originally used the disks I created it cleared the hard drive, so would this be causing this screen?

The disks I purchased from Asus are still taking me in

Attachments

plodr

Liz
Based on the information on this screen the Asus agent advised by hard drive is bad, and to fix the problem I need a new hard drive.
That tells me it is set to boot from a network drive.

The computer boots from the disks but never from the hard drive.

Go into BIOS and see if the boot order is hard drive, optical drive and network drive last.
If that is correct the computer looks for an OS on the hard drive to boot. Failing that it looks for an OS on a DVD in the drive (which I assume it boots from) and then it looks for an OS on a network drive.

Since the disks never actually install an OS on the hard drive, once the disks are removed, it goes through looking for something to boot and never finds anything.

That does indicate a problem with the hard drive.

Drogon

It does not appear there is an option to select boot from hard drive in the bios.
I attached a copy of the main screen, boot screen, and add new boot option with the "select filesystem" selected.

If I do need a new hard drive what is the average price for labor and supplies?

Attachments

plodr

Liz
It does not appear there is an option to select boot from hard drive in the bios.
That's your clue that the hard drive is either dead or the connector is dead because the BIOS can not "see" the hard drive.

Drogon

I purchased and installed a new HD. However, when I'm using the recovery disks I still have the same problem described above. It looks like my bios can see the hd though. Pics attached...
Is there anything in the bios I can chanever to solve this problem?

Attachments

plodr

Liz
First screenshot, I'm not sure why Launch PXE OpROM is enabled. Sorry but I don't know if it should be disabled. You'll have to wait until someone who knows more about this than me posts.

Drogon

Can I just start over and instead of using recovery disks, purchase windows 7 64?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't think the OpROM setting matters, it's for running an Optional Rom chip on a network card which is hardly ever done these days, you could set it to disabled though.

You could buy a Win 7 install DVD but first I would call Asus again and explain the Recovery Disks don't work even with a new and Bios detected hard drive.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The OpROM setting is for using an optional rom chip that could be fitted onto network cards, you can safely disable it.

You could buy a Win 7 install DVD but I would contact Asus again first and tell them the recovery disks didn't work with a new hard drive that was detected in the Bios ok and see what they say.

Drogon

I must have had a bad disc. I installed windows 10 by booting from the usb drive. The OS is now working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online