1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus gives black screen, I'm stuck

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Avascar, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avascar

Avascar Thread Starter

Specs: ASUS G75VX. Initially it had Windows 8 but upgraded to Windows 8.1 several months ago.

Okay. This problem has been happening the past 2 months, giving a handful of different error codes, and the dreadful Automatic Repair loop. I can send in my laptop to Asus for repair, but I want to keep it as a last resort.

Initially, this problem occured when my computer suddenly froze, forcing me to hold down the power button to shut down. Upon booting it back on. The black screen pops up, with nothing happening for few minutes, then starting Automatic Repair, black screen again, and repeat.

From the various error codes, the one thing they have in common is that the files are missing or contain errors, noticeably system32 files. Another thing I see that's never changed, is that they only occur when I force shut down the computer, or a BSOD (which I got once, from a KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR just yesterday).

Sometimes, though luck (more of restarting the computer over and over), I escape the Automatic Repair loop, and changes to "Diagnosing your PC...". It then fixes a bunch of stuff, although nothing I can recognize from the file names, it's a bunch of random letters with dashes similar to a serial code. Afterwards, the computer boots up like normal, although another problem has arisen.

From that day, whenever the computer boots up normally, the disk usage spikes up to 100%, and lags the computer out. This lasts a few minutes to an hour, so I wait it out. I tried finding what creates this problem, but no program on task manager has come up.

And so, from the BSOD I got yesterday, my computer was in an automatic repair loop. I tried accessing safe mode by holding F9, wait 15 minutes for it to load, and hitting safe mode, but it fails to boot up.

I installed a Windows 8.1 installation media on a USB. Using that, I accessed BIOS and tried reinstalling Windows 8.1, but gave a compatibility error.

So I clicked "Repair your computer", and these are the various things I did. I tried resetting my PC and refreshing, but says the drive partition is missing. I tried going to command prompt, and typed in the commands:

-bootrec /fixBCD
    -bootrec /fixboot
    -bootrec /fixMBR
    -chkdsk C: /r /f /x

All went successful, and found no errors. But the problem persists.

I also tried going to Automatic Repair, which was one of the options, it lasted 4 hours, but at the end it just gave a black screen. I tried Automatic Repair again, but said it couldn't find the problem.

As of now, it seems that the Automatic Repair loop has stopped. Whenever I turn on my computer currently, it gives 10 minutes of a black screen, the Republic of Gamers logo pops up, then gives me a blue screen of error code 0xc0000185.

The only thing that works that I've explored are the BIOS and command prompt. I don't know what else to do.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Where please is the installation media from
    and how did you make it on USB - the normal cause of that error is either the wrong media for the version on the Asus OR the incorrect method for making the usb

2. FixMBR will not achieve anything on your computer as there is unless you have changed settings in the UEFI setup
    - no MBR - master boot record
    UEFI which is the firmware for all OEM systems with Windows 8 pre- installed boots from a FAT partition on a hard disk with GPT format - not from an MBR partitioned disk.

3. GO cmd prompt and type
    bcdedit

send the results please

4 Re the BSOD
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559211(v=vs.85).aspx

one may suspect - dis- missing the failed drive, memory faults and bad connections that the cause of that error is
    0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk.

5. I presume you have set it to show the Gamers logo rather than the Microsoft logo - before what would them be the lock screen

3. Avascar

Avascar Thread Starter

1. This link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media I ran the setup and saw installing on USB as an option, so I decided to do that.

3. My results
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
    path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    resumeobject {1b0ba151-ba10-11e4-bc14-ef81784ac8bd}
    displayorder {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    description Windows 8.1
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {1b0ba153-ba10-11e4-bc14-ef81784ac8bd}
    recoveryenabled Yes
    isolatedcontext Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {1b0ba151-ba10-11e4-bc14-ef81784ac8bd}
    nx OptIn
    bootmenupolicy Standard

5. The republic of gamers logo is something set by default, it's out of my control and I assume it to be normal.

Also, I'd like to say that I think I resolved the issue of my computer not booting up for now, although I'm not so certain a complete refresh of the C: drive will fix this issue entirely. Using the USB, I did a custom install, Windows 8.1 reinstalled (which took a very, very long time) and everything seemed fine. At first, performance is slow but overtime of constantly restarting, downloading drivers, and reinstalling my programs everything seems to be normal. I regularly play video games, and have not noticed a drop in frame rate.

I'd like to mention however, that the computer going to 100% disk usage is still a major problem, so for now I've disabled Superfetch and Background Intelligent Transfer Service via services.msc and that seemed to prevent the 100% disk usage problem. Although I've read that this is a symptom of a corrupted hard drive, or something wrong with the files.

I've opened up the Windows default defragging program "Optimize Drives". I see 3 drivers. Recovery, Restore, and another that's wildly out of place that's called \\?\volume{8d2a591d-c9ce-4d81-vf7d-e5c72dcdac65}\ in those exact words. I've recognized those series of words and letters when my computer was in the Automatic Repair loop, and tried to repair that volume. I suppose it's a cause of my previous booting problem?

4. Macboatmaster

That drive identified in the defrag window was created when you made the custom install of 8.1
    Here is the explanation
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365248(v=vs.85).aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ted-by-windows-81-update?forum=w8itproinstall

What is more concerning is that you say - your partition lettered C does not show

BITS - must be Automatic (Delayed Start)
    OTHERWISE you will have problems including Windows updates not working as they should

Disabling that is NOT the answer to your problems

When you post the reply to this please also include
    1. What Anti-virus and firewall are you using

2. When you made the custom install - please detail how you carried that procedure out in respect of the partition to which you installed

3. What is installed that needs to be saved by way of programs that you do not have the means to reinstall
    The simple way is to start afresh from an install to a complete unallocated space - for the whole disk but of course this depends on how you have it set up.
    AND you should not consider that option until we know the disk is in good health - which checks we will pursue when you reply

4. There are of course many possible causes to your problems, but the usual one is the installation of third party programs that change the way windows 8/8.1 manages its system
    Tune ups, boosters, registry cleaners, etc.

OR some third party anti-virus programs - IMHO experience tend to cause problems.

PLEASE DO NOT whatever you may read on a google search attempt to make changes to that volume identified by its GUID - globally unique identifier

Open a cmd prompt from the desktop by right clicking the white Microsoft flag left of the taskbar on there
    click cmd prompt admin
    when the cmd window opens
    it must be headed
    Administrator Command Prompt

Type
    sfc /scannow
    press enter

If it reports errors could not be fixed close that window
    REBOOT and run it again
    If it still reports errors could not be fixed
    REBOOT and run it a third time

If the result is still the same
    go back to the cmd prompt and copy and paste this

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

run that it will take sometime
    if that reports health restored
    REBOOT
    go back again to the prompt and run the
    sfc /scannow

what does that now report

5. Macboatmaster

Further to the above what would also be helpful is a screenshot of disk management
    right click the Microsoft flag and click disk management
    when the window opens
    please send the screenshot as mine so I can see the upper and lower panes of the main window

with disk management open
    press the print screen key
    open paint and click paste
    if necessary click select and drag mouse around image to select
    click copy
    click file tab and new
    click paste again
    click file and save as
    change file type to jpeg from bitmap
    save it to desktop
    on reply click go advanced and manage attachments
    browse to the image and upload it please

Yours will not of course have the detail mine as - this is a triple boot 8.1, 7 and xp

Attached Files:

6. Avascar

Avascar Thread Starter

1. No anti-virus, and I'm using the Windows default firewall. I occasionally use Malware Bytes to run a virus scan, but that was a while ago before this problem occured.

2. I downloaded Windows 8.1 on the C: drive

3. I have video game save data I want to keep, the only programs I reinstalled after my custom Windows 8.1 installation are video games, Firefox, and Misc programs such as VLC and Geforce Experience. I don't recall downloading third-party programs that modify my computer system.

4. sfc /scannow results
    C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

As an added strange note, from your response I decided to check the defrag program and now I see OS (C:), although previously as I stated it wasn't there. Another thing I've done is reactivate BITS, so Superfetch is the only service disabled that I've done.

My disk management image:

[​IMG]

7. Macboatmaster

You have said
    so does that mean please that you disabled Windows defender

If you have, each time you boot the system will carry out various checks to try and ascertain the cause.
    These checks do not occur if WD is enabled or if the system knows you have a third party antivirus installed

Check in Resource Monitor - disk activity to find what is running
    You may open it from task manager by clicking performance tab and then open resource monitor - at the lower edge of the task manager window

or you may open it from the start screen and type
    resource

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice