1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Asus k55vd laptop refuses to do anything, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WarrentyVoided, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarrentyVoided

WarrentyVoided Thread Starter

My laptop is an Asus model k55vd running windows 8.1, 8gb RAM over 2 cards of DDR3, nvidia geforce 610m 2gb graphics and intel I7 3.2ghz.

my problem is this, my laptop doesn't do anything at all, no charge lights, no anything. this occurred after i took it apart to clean the heat sink (specific description of what i did in following paragraphs). I've been told that i may have short circuited the motherboard or have blown a fuse. please help. I've moved one of the RAM cards to another laptop i have and its working fine.

A couple of weeks ago i noticed that my laptop was over heating just at idle after boot and login (by overheating i mean 40 degrees and up and i usually have my laptop stacked up on books to help with ventilation and whatnot), and i thought that the heat sink must need to be cleaned. so i turned the computer off and got my screwdriver kit. first i removed the battery and power cable, then i took off the small panel on the bottom that covers the hard drive, RAM and LAN card by removing the 2 screws that hold it in place and sliding it off. then i removed the hard drive and the rest of the screws along the bottom of the chassis. i then removed the keyboard being careful not to damage the ribbon cabling or their connections. unplugging the 3 ribbons, i removed the keyboard entirely. i then set about removing all of the screws from the motherboard along with cabling from the small utility card on the right side (this is for the headphones, microphone, and a USB slot). i then removed the motherboard itself, not entirely but enough that i could get underneath it. i flipped the board upside down, so that i could get to the heat sink, which i promptly removed, separated into its to pieces (fan and lump of copper and air grill) noticing that the grill was full of crap, i quickly cleaned it. i got curious and took apart the keyboard a little more, taking off the bottom metal plate (this plate had a black plastic on it) by removing the screws. after i had satisfied my curiosity i started putting it back together and i grew impatient with the multiple types of screws it required noticing that the screw holes (i don't know what else to call them) had letters around them identifying which screws to use, elated by this, i removed the black plastic and low and behold more of the wonderful letters. so i put the computer back together in reverse order to what i took it apart. before i bolted down the keyboard, i decided i better test it, so i did. it booted got to the login screen and when i went to type in my password, the narrator came on and some of the keys didn't work (i believe it was "t" and "l") and as my password requires these two letters, i was unable to login. at first i assumed it was just that it hadn't plugged in the keys correctly so i fiddled with the ribbon cabling for the keys. after that and battling with the narrator (which kept turning back on) i managed to get it working, so i turned it off unplugged the power and set about bolting everything down. when i finished, i plugged it back in and attempted to turn it on... no response, not even a charge light.

it would be greatly appreciated if any could help me with this, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice