1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus k8s-la 754socket mother board problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shovelhead192289, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shovelhead192289

shovelhead192289 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq desk top. The fans stoped working and displayed the message ( no cpu fan ), so first I purchased 2 new fans, no luck. then I took it to the computer lab at college and they told me that it was a bad mother board, so I purchased a used one from Ebay. When it came in I took it and had it installed but they said that I got a bad one, so here is the symtoms " no video, fans dont work,and does not boot up. I know the cpu is good because I also purchased a new one of them and installed it. What is funny about this is with the newly purchased mother board, the computer does even less now than it did with the old mother board. ohhhh and I also purchased a mother board pci checker card and it codes all good but still no computer working. About a year ago I purchased a new power supply and installed it, do you think that it could have gone bad already? Because most of the problems that I can find on the net about this mother board are all power supply related. I hope that you can please help me with this problem. Thank you and sincerly yours Troy

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The best way to test a pw supply is to swap in a known good unit for testing. While there are pw supply testers, they are not always 100% accurate.

At this point, I would not put any money into this system. it is at least 6 generations old tech and not worth anything. A new modern mb, cpu, and ram would cost less than attempting to fix this one. For approx $175 or less you can have a new 3.4gig cpu, modern mb, and ram.

If you are doing this for a learning experience, then it is fine [as long as you get the parts free or near free] If you are doing this to attempt to save money, you are throwing your money away.

3. shovelhead192289

shovelhead192289 Thread Starter

ave purchased a used mobo. have already bought a new cpu. And I have purchased a used mobo from Ebay, I am just trying to find the problem with the computer. The lab at school said to return the mobo I got on Ebay, but they want to charge me half the purchased prise to restock the item, so after shipping cost plus only getting half my money bach I guess all I can afford to do is keep the mobo, so that leaves me with what is wrong with the thing?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I really do not have any other advise for you other than what was referenced above. I would stop wasting money on this project; really you are just throwing it away. Save your money and purchase modern parts that are going to work.

If you want to continue to troubleshoot your problem, I would start with an out of the case build. There are detailed instructions at the top of the page under "Problem builds" Again if this is a learning experience, then fine. If it is anything else, you are wasting both time and money.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice