1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS Laptop Cooling problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Levi-san, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Levi-san

Levi-san Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a problem with my ASUS ROG G551JW laptop. The problem is that the cooling fans never actually ramp up to their max speed and it feels like the fan is only working in passive cooling mode, it only sends a light breeze out, even during heavy tasks like gaming, which results in the CPU constantly being on critical temperatures (around 95 degrees) during almost any workload that requires my CPU to do... well... anything.

I noticed that if I reflash a BIOS on the first start the fans ramp up to their max potential and it actually blows out air as it should, but by the time the system boots into the OS they slow down and never turn up again to that speed. It's always after the first run after installing a new BIOS, and from this I concluded that the fan actually works, but it just never turns on for some reason.

I tried multiple programs like Notebook Fan Control to set the speed to maximum but it never actually turns on. I also tried looking in the BIOS but the UEFI ASUS puts into their laptops is a joke and you can barely configure anything besides the time in this lol.

What could cause my fans to not work? I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now, sent my laptop to services since I don't have the tools (and the knowledge) to open it up and fix it myself, but I just thought the fans were weak and cleaning or this kind of maintenance (replacing thermal paste, etc. - at least I was told it was done to it, could be that I've been lied to too lol) never achieved anything. Only recently noticed that the fan can spin much faster and push out more air.

Any helpful comment would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice