1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus Laptop Not booting up, black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vaidas037, Nov 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

Hello, I recently tried to disassemble my asus s500c laptop, to fix fan issue where it would make weird sound, i couldn't find the problem so i just put it all back together and tried to turn on, and it wouldn't work. The led of power turns on, then fan starts up, but the screen stays black and HDD led wouldn't blink or turn on at all, so i figured out it was the issue. I tried to plug in other HDD , but everything stayed the same. I think there's a problem with Internal HDD connector, i tried to unplug battery and such, put it back but it doesn't do anything so i'm not sure what to do now. I really need help please

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Were you wearing an antistatic wrist strap while working on it?

If not, ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) may well have caused damage to electronic components.

If you were, double-check to make sure you have everything re-connected properly ... including applying new thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink if you might have loosened it.

3. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

I wasn't, but if it was ESD, then i guess it wouldn't even light up ? Is there any other issue that would be the case of it ?

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

1) Depends on which component(s) might have been damaged.

2) Incorrect re-assembly.

5. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

I tried unplugging and plugging back couple of times , to see if everything is in place, everything was fine, but when i would turn it on the HDD would not spin, only power led and cpu fan ramping up

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Can you get into the BIOS if you disconnect the hard drive?

Does the hard drive spin when connected to another computer (or USB adapter)?

7. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

How do i get into BIOS ? Because i tried some ways and they didn't work for me

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I don't know your exact model number but, from what I see on Google using "asus bios key" it says (with the laptop off) "while pressing and holding [F2], press the Power button. Do not release [F2] until the BIOS screen displays."

9. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

I tried but my BIOS wouldn't open up. Since HDD led won't turn on i though it's that, but i tried to plug it in another computer with external cable and it worked fine. So it's either HDD connector or something, but my screen stays black too, i tried to plug into HDMI port but that didn't the thing too, so it's not the screen i guess.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

What is the complete model number of your laptop?

On some laptops you press [fn]+[someFunctionKey] key which acts as a three-way toggle between the screens:
    1. Press [fn]+[someFunctionKey] once to switch from the laptop screen to the external screen only.
    2. Press [fn]+[someFunctionKey] again to use both the laptop and external screen at the same time.
    3. Press [fn]+[someFunctionKey] once more to switch back to the laptop screen only.
    To find out what that "[someFunctionKey]" is on your laptop would require knowing the model number.

A computer does not need any drives attached whatsoever in order to get into the BIOS. The BIOS routine (program), the BIOS Settings, including the Date and Time are stored in a battery-backed CMOS chip mounted on the motherboard.

The basic setup required to get into the BIOS is:
    • MB (motherboard - main circuit board)
    • RAM (random-access memory)
    • CPU (central processing unit) w/heatsink
    • PSU (power supply unit)
    • KVM (Keyboard, Video [and sometimes a Mouse])
    And each of those components must be working correctly and attached properly.

(If the hardware is not working 100% correctly, the software you try running on it NEVER will).

11. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

It's Asus s500c with Windows 10, original Windows version was Windows 8, but i don't think that important.

12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

ASUS Notebook PC E-Manual

13. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

Nope that didn't work, I tried to plug in HDMI then turn it on and used those keys , but that didn't do anything. Is there any way to hard reset it ? Cuz right now nothing seems to work. Actually one time before, i was trying to turn it on, plugged off and plugged in screen and it gave me windows 10 error thing, maybe i could try to do that again ?

14. vaidas037

vaidas037 Thread Starter

Actually I just tried it, and my TV detected a signal, but no output from that.

15. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Guess so. Little hard to tell exactly what to do from where I sit. If you can get an image on a screen somehow, then at least you know the computer is working.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice