1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus Laptop not booting

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Paino1977, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

Hi

I don't know if anyone can help.

I have a Asus x50R laptop, running windows Vista, and all was working fine with it until yesterday. I went to boot it up, and after the Asus screen, and after the windows scrolling bar at the bottom goes, all I get is a blue backdrop (like the screen you come across when you input your password), and the mouse cursor. Nothing else happens.

I have tried pressing f9 on boot, and the only option is gives me is the Windows [ems] option. It wont let me do a memory test as a file is missing or corrupt, and it will not give the an option for a recovery partition.

I have tried the f8 option and tried to boot up from every single one. When trying to boot from safe mode, I just get a black screen with safe mode in the corners and thats it.

I have tried the Asus recovery DVD, switched the Bios to boot from the DVD drive, and it tries load, but you can tell by the noise the DVD drive is making its not liking it and it defaults back to booting from the hard drive.

I have tried taking the battery out for a few hours and trying the DVD again, it sounds like this time it wants to boot from the DVD, but again all I get is the blue screen with the cursor.

I have a load of things on the computer that I am extremely loath to lose so any help would be much appreciated.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you have any other boot discs you can try as a test or try the Asus disc in another PC and see if it works.

Is the Asus recovery DVD have scratches on it...damage at all.....have you tried cleaning it and trying?

Was the DVD drive working OK before this happened?

3. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

I have no other boot discs.

The drive was in perfect working order last time it was used a couple of weeks ago, I did try a random disc to see if it was the drive, and it flashed up on screen to use a valid boot disc, or words to that effect. Whereas this disc just makes a noise like it wants to load but can't quite manage it.

There are no scratches on the DVD whatsoever. Its the first time I have taken it out of it packaging. I have tried cleaning it though in case it was dusty or whatever, but again no luck.

I could try the recovery DVD on another computer to see if it works.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Do have access to another PC?

5. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

I can do but not until tonight. Does it matter if the other PC being accessed is not an Asus though?

Is the recovery DVD my only hope of fixing this do you think?

6. Megabite

Megabite

The recovery disc will only reset the PC back to when you first had it..so you still need to see if you can access the hard drive and see if you can retrieve the data.

If you know some one with a Vista disc you could try that.....using the Startup repair option.

Or put the Hard drive in a Caddy (enclosure) and hook it to another PC through USB and see if you can access the data.

7. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

Admitedly I would obviously prefer not to have to wipe it and start again, so I will see if I can get my hands on a Vista disc.

That being said I do have another "dead" dell Laptop which would cost more to repair than its actually worth, but the hard drive is fine. So maybe I should invest in an enclosure. I have just checked them out and they are far cheaper than I thought they would be.

I'll see what I can get my hands on.

Cheers. I'll post back after I've tried the above.

8. Megabite

Megabite

OK...let us know how you get on...:)

9. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

Ok

The DVD disc seems to be fine, I take the hard drive out and give it a try and with a bit of encouraging it works.

I have bought a hard drive enclosure and put my hard drive into it. When plugging it in to my girlfriends laptop it finds it ok, but only gives me 3 folders? boot, font and set up. There are various other files on there, asus.swm or things like that but nothing I recognise. It also seems to think it is only 8gb drive when in fact its 160gb.

Could the enclosure not be working properly or am I just not using it properly (there we no instructions in the box when it said there should be) or could my hard drive completely knackered?

10. Megabite

Megabite

I would say the Hard drive has issues.....try going to Start>>Computer..Right click on the bad drive and click on Properties then Tools tab then click Check Now...makesure both boxes are checked and click OK.

11. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

Just tried that. A box came up and told me it cant check the disk whilst it is in use and asked me if I wanted to check the hard disk for errors the next time I started the computer.

So I re started with the hard drive still connected and on boot up it ran a disk check and told me there were no problems with the drive?

What is going on with it? Doesnt sound to healthy does it?

12. Megabite

Megabite

How have you got the bad Hard drive hooked up.....through USB through the Enclosure...reason I ask is because is it is weird you got that message as that was not the main drive in use.

13. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

Yep, through USB, through the enclosure.

As soon as I plug the usb in, the hard drive kicks into life. But heres something else weird. After plugging it in, then un plugging it, windows explorer crashes, then I lose all the icons on screen and the bar at the bottom with the only way to sort it out it a full system restart.

14. Megabite

Megabite

I would say the Hard drive is suspect...hook it up again and look in Disk Management and see what it sees

Start>>Right click Computer then choose Manage and then click on the left Disk Management

15. Paino1977

Paino1977 Thread Starter

Doing that now.

Been saying "connecting to virtual disk service..." for some time though. How long should that take?

What should I be looking for when i comes up?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!