1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus M11BB Desktop Bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Laskio, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laskio

Laskio Thread Starter

I have the ASUS M11BB Desktop with a GTX 980 installed into it, I am going to buy the Intel 4690k CPU for 200 and was wondering how much that would change my fps and if my cpu atm is really bottlenecking my GPU with how powerful it is, Help?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

According to the sites I looked at, the M11B runs an AMD FM2 CPU. The CPU you are looking at is an Intel. This will NOT fit your motherboard, as it is a completely different spec.

In terms of upgrades, you need to look for an AMD chip if you really want to go down that path, or look at changing your motherboard. as far as bottlenecks go, your CPU isnt overly bad. For any increase i would suggest looking at a custom built or higher spec brand name, (although with those you get hat they think you want, not what you do want). Without knowing what you want to do (graphics, editing, games or whatever) its hard to give any real advice on upgrades, as what you use it for will influence what is most important.

3. Blu_86

Blu_86

Actually an FM2 even the highest end model will certainly bottleneck a GTX 980 pretty badly as compared to even an AMD AM3 FX 6300/8320/8350. Example, if you had an FX 8320 you would likely get 20-30% more performance in a wide array of games. Far more still if you switched to a current gen Intel setup.

Once you get past a certain class of GPU ... say a GTX 960 or HD 7950 the FM2 will start to show it's IPC weakness. Though you will get high frames with that system the average framerate will be about 30-50% less than the same card with an I5 4670. Yes in a game like Skyrim it would be about a 50% difference. The guy with the I5 will be averaging about 120+ FPS and you will be around 70 FPS, with many more low dips at times. That same guy with the I5 can equal your gaming performance with a R9 280x Pretty stunning that the processor can make that much of a difference but it does when an extremely high end GPU is involved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!