1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus mobo & SATA issues with installing XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matt.choules, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

I know that you lot have probably answered these before, but i promise i did check and couldn't find a solution...

System:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    Asus A7N8X-D v2.0 mobo
    2x512mb Corsair RAM
    1x Western Digital WD1600JS Caviar SE 160GB SATA HDD (New Windows Drive)
    1x Maxtor 300gb SATA HDD (Storage Drive)

My old IDE HDD died and so i opted to buy a SATA drive this time as i knew the performance was better and the drives are much cheaper now.
    I've put the new drive into my pc, the SATA connector into the primary socket (the Maxtor storage drive has always been in the secondary and worked fine) and tried starting my pc and the install process.

Unfortunately setup "did not find any hard disk drives installed".
    I checked my BIOS settings and the boot order between SCSI and SATA is correct (SATA 1st), and when passing the BIOS stage the HDD is showing up in my SATA drives list...

I've read around and understand that i might need a SATA driver disk to be able to install onto the SATA, but not sure if this is applicable to me as i have already used SATA in the past for my storage drive...?

I've tried pressing F6 at the start of the installation to get to the SCSI or RAID section, but i'm not trying to run the disks in a RAID array, so this seems pointless...?
    I tried "Specifying Additional Device" anyway, just to see if there is anything in there and i get a prompt for a Manufacturer Support Floppy Disk (alas, Asus does not offer support for my mobo anymore and all I have is the original Motherboard CD, which contains only the files shown in the pic below)...

[​IMG]

My housemate bought a disk recently that had to be initialized... Could that be the problem?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. matt.choules

Righty.
    I've found the driver and managed to dig up a floppy disk (a bigger task than it sounds!), and so far so good...
    The disk has been found, and i am currently formatting in preparation to install!

Thank you simpswr! I'll keep you informed as to how it goes...

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

should go well . . (y)

5. matt.choules

Hmmm... After the formatting i get an error saying "setup cannot copy the file: si3112r.sys"
    I have the driver disk in the A: drive still, and the pc accesses the floppy, but still cannot find the file...
    I have tried putting in the driver cd, but it still tries to access the A: drive...

I have the option to retry (tried that), cacel or skip.

6. matt.choules

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Asus can be so goofy with their drivers . . one reason I am not using them anymore. Can you see that file on the floppy disc? . . if not, it sounds like they misdirected you to the SATA install drivers . .

8. bbearren

bbearren

Have you partitioned the disk, or are you trying to use the whole drive as one big partition?

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

If it formated the drive, it must have used the right sata driver . . what happens if you choose Skip?

10. matt.choules

I can see the file on the floppy disk when its in another machine, but not in my pc...
    The disk was partitioned into one massive drive and one small 8mb drive of unpartitioned space.
    And yes, i did choose the correct partition before someone asks...

^_^

The driver i downloaded was:
    Silicon Image Serial ATA driver version V1.0.0.22 and Utility V1.0.0.11
    http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/silicon/silicon_v10022.zip

I have yet to choose skip, i was worried it might mess up my perfectly good new drive...!

11. matt.choules

I've submitted a support request to Asus, but not holding my breath.

12. matt.choules

Should i try skipping the file?

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

It shouldn't hurt . . worst case is you would have to start over opnce you get the right driver

14. matt.choules

Ok, i tried that.
    Now it asks for the si3112r.inf file...
    I think i can guess whats going to happen if i skip this file...

Suggestions?

15. matt.choules

I knew it would have a problem with all the files, but skipped all the ones that had problems.
    Setup got past this little problem and seems to be installing windows.
    Not sure if i'm going to have problems later on (or if it will boot at all), but i guess once its in windows thats a step forwards right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice