1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus Notebook VSOD Crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Praelus, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Praelus

Praelus Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a 6 month old Asus G73Jh with a history of games crashing since about 2 months into the computer's use. After the problem persisted for a month, I tried user end troubleshooting (including downloading drivers), but to no avail. I then happened upon a Youtube video of a gentleman who was apparently experiencing the same problem with the same model of computer: specifically, "vertical stripes of death" crashing with accompanying noise and required hard reboot.

This is detailed here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bRZT0plK0o

After learning that he sent in his computer to Asus and had the video card replaced, which seemed to correct the problem, I did the same. Within two weeks I received the computer back with a note explaining that they had indeed replaced the video card.

Unfortunately, that did not seem to resolve the problem, and I still have VSOD crashing on a regular basis; I estimate that in roughly half of my gaming sessions, the computer will crash at some point within the first hour of play. I thought that it might have something to do with inadequate cooling (despite the fact that the notebook has very large fans), but the crashing behavior seems to defy that explanation: often games will crash almost immediately, within the first 5-10 minutes; if they get past that "danger zone" they are usually ok for at least an hour, at which point the instance of crashing increases again.

I am uncertain where to go from here, or if there is anywhere else that I can take the computer aside from Asus (which has notoriously bad customer service: http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Asus). Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Pertinent games:
    You name it, this computer has crashed it: Starcraft II, WoW, Company of Heroes, Fallout 3, Empire Total War.

System Information:
    Asus G73Jh (x64 based)
    Intel Core i7 CPU @ 1.60 GHz, 4 Cores
    8.0 GB RAM, 1 Tbyte Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Windows 7 Home Premium

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you tried lowering the game settings as well as screen resolution?

3. Praelus

Praelus Thread Starter

I have tried adjusting the resolution and settings, with only very limited success - perhaps a 10% improvement. In addition, I would think that higher resolutions and settings would result in lower FPS and sluggishness on machines unable to handle those settings rather than immediate and irrecoverable crashes. I have noticed no reduction in FPS or the like when using higher settings, when the game does not crash immediately.

It also seems that a new, rather expensive computer should be able to handle games that are several years old without too much of a problem. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Understood.....that idea was only for a test.....

Does the Laptop fan seem to spin fast all the time and does the air coming out seem hot?

5. Megabite

Megabite

I would contact Asus and tell them that the problem is still there before the warranty runs out.

6. Praelus

Praelus Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments, Mega. The fans don't really audibly spin much, and certainly not all the time. The air coming out feels slightly warm, but not hot. This laptop doesn't seem to run very hot compared to my previous one, which had much smaller fans.

I am going to follow up with Asus again, but like others have said they are a bit slow on the uptake and require some persistence. I figured I would try other options as well while doing so.

7. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Make sure you DO NOT have the video card drivers from AMD (ATI) installed. Make sure the drivers you have are from Asus. I have the same laptop you have (in fact, I am using it now). The only time this laptop crashed was when I decided to update the video card drivers from ati.com (via Steam). After that, I couldn't play any game for more than 30 minutes without the laptop crashing.

I since deleted the drivers, installed the ones from AMD (which are 9.12). I have never crashed again, including playing marathon times for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Aliens vs Predator.

8. Praelus

Praelus Thread Starter

Thanks, Courtney... interesting. I just recently updated the drivers from the Asus support site, but I HAD installed a patch from ATI at an earlier point - might I have to uninstall anything and then reinstall from the Asus site?

9. Praelus

Praelus Thread Starter

As an update, I tried Courtney's suggestion, and it seems to have worked wonderfully. I wanted to wait a few days before making a determination, but I haven't had a VSOD crash since then. I uninstalled the ATI drivers, deleted the accompanying registry files and program files, and ran drive sweeper. Then I reinstalled from the Asus support site, and I haven't had a similar crash after that. Thanks, Courtney!

I had a few other comparitively minor issues with Fallout 3 afterwards, but I believe those are unrelated problems, one of which I was able to solve. I will make a separate thread addressing the second.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!