1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

asus p2b 440bx motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pearl_drummer, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pearl_drummer

pearl_drummer Thread Starter

ok i have a asus p2b 440bx motherboard with p 2 at 266mhz
    i just bought a intel celeron 800mhz processor
    when i installed it it made this ticking sound and comp wouldnt start...
    please help me

2. brianF

brianF

3. brianF

brianF

Actually I should say you had better email asus. I really don't think that motherboard will support that high of a processor. It's possible as it does have an 8 multiplier but not sure.

Here is the contact information
    http://usa.asus.com/inside/allcontact.htm

4. pearl_drummer

ok b4 i email them do u think it would hurt just to update the bios?
    and if so how do i do it

5. brianF

brianF

email them first, flash bios if you have to. It's not fun the first or third time, still get sweaty palms when I do it.
    If the flash goes bad the motherboard is basically trash unless your lucky.

Asus will have detailed instructions on how to do it.

Basically you make a bootable floppy, copy the extracted bin file to it with the flash program, reboot, and run the program.
    If it goes bad it's doubtfull the board will boot up again with out reprogramming by asus.

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that motherboard has an automatic voltage regulator(no voltage tweaks) which doesn't support anything under 2.0V, which would mean the highest you could go is a PIII slot1 512k cache katmai 600mhz 100mhz bus processor.

Also if you were thinking of using a pIII socket 370 processor and a slotket, it probably won't work. Even though you can set voltage on a socket 370 to slot1 converter, the processor will still not receive the correct voltage if your motherboard doesn't support the correct voltage in the first place.

I got some confirmation from BxBoards about the voltage.

I have previously received confirmation from abit about their slotkets and other slotkets not providing voltage regulation.

Still ask asus though.

7. pearl_drummer

so whats the cheapest mother board i should by
    for agp

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

9. PostCode

PostCode

It depends on the board revision itself that determines what the P2B will support. PCB revision 1.10 and up should have no problem, but below that your not going to get any luck even with a new BIOS. I've build probably 100+ P2B based systema nd have dealt with all the PCB versions. To check your board revision, near the middle of the PCI slots, where the board model is printed, check to the right of it. You will see the board revision displayed there. Soemthing like 1.02, 1.04, 1.10, 1.14, etc.. If it's 1.10 and up, a BIOS update will make it work. Below that, and it's just a waste of time. Hope this helps.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!