1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS P4B533 mobo freezes during post-boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kotn, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kotn

kotn Thread Starter

My neighbor has a ASUS P4B533 mobo and he handed it to me to repair. He told me that one morning it was working fine and the next, it "broke". The problem with the mobo is that it will freeze at the post-boot screen.

Here are the things i have done.
    1)Disconnected all pci devices and cd-roms expect video card and hard drive.
    2)switched out ram from my computer (DDR)
    3)flashed and upgraded BIOS
    4)switch out video card
    5)used different power supply
    6)used different hard drive
    7)put his hard drive into my computer *booted up fine*

here is a very pic from my *cheap* web cam of where the computer freezes. and to go in to further detail when it freezes it say PCI DEVICE LISTING and i know when it freezes because some of the letters from words can be found missing.

[​IMG]

my neighbor is eager to get his computer back plz help!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Give the board a very close inspection with a bright light. Check for any leaking / discolored / bulging capacitors on the board

When you said you removed all pci cards, did you also disable any onboard devices like onboard nic, onboard sound, onboard raid controller?

3. kotn

kotn Thread Starter

are you thinking about bad caps? i had a problem like that with my old video card but i don't see any discolored, bulging, etc.. capacitors on the mobo. And i hate for that to be the problem.

but as for the onboard devices i just went into the bios and disabled onboard devices and im sure i got them all.

but it still freezes.

thnx for the fast reply.

4. dobbelina

dobbelina

Looks like it's having problems detecting the hd.
    Could be a bad ide cable, try switching.
    Also try to connect the hd to the second ide channel and see if the problem persists.
    If that doesn't work either, remove both ide cables and re-boot without anything connected.
    If the problem persists, it's prolly mainboard related.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice