1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Asus P4C800 Deluxe Sound Problems!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J_Han1, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J_Han1

J_Han1 Thread Starter

Hi, I recently upgraded my computer. Well actually, I basically got a new computer.

I purchased a p4 3.2Ghz. Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB. Maxtor 250Gig 7200rpm. Two pc3200 512MB RAM.

Well after installing all the hardware and Windows XP professional, I realize that I have no sound from the onboard sound card. I have tried downloading the latest drivers for the integrated sound card through Asus and I've reformatted/reinstalled at least 6 times in the last couple days. I have no clue whatsoever why my sound doesn't work. It's not my speakers as they work w/ anything else I plug it into.

I have searched every forum I can think of and no one seems to have the same problem as me (although I hear that my mobo seems to have TONS of problems). As tech support guy is the GREATEST forum for easy to understand information, I decided to post here and hope for the best. Someone please help me! I am not extremely computer literate-though I have some basic knowledge of computers. I sunk 2 paychecks into upgrading my computer and I will be most grateful to anyone that can help me. Thanks in advance!

edit: btw my device manager shows all the sound components to be working correctly. The CD that came with the mobo won't let me install the USB 2.0 drivers saying that my windows CD should have it...but my windows CD doesn't. So the only yellow circle w/ exclamation point is on the USB 2.0...does that matter? Plus if anyone has additional information....how do I get the usbehci.sys file installed?

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

I hate to tell you this, but the devil made me do it. An ASUS tech told me (when I had the same problem) to start over by reformatting and reinstalling the OS, then add your Chipset drivers, then your video drivers, then your modem device, and LAST the sound drivers for the onboard card. He stated this motherboard (same as yours) is very sensitive to the order on how you load your drivers. Know what, it worked for me...and has never quit....so, if you don't find another solution, give this a try. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

3. norton850

norton850

This doesn't solve your problem (well actually it does) With the system you have you really need to buy a sound card. The sound you get will be superior to the onboard sound and you won't have to reformat everything again.

4. slawless

slawless

I have the same MoBo, it works perfectly. I have Logitec 5.1 speakers. I assume you have loaded all the stuff on the from the ASUS cd. Be sure you have the latest BIOS. Most of the probelms with this board occured with the early BIOS. Hope it helps.

Steve L

5. NC2TX

NC2TX

I had the exact same problem on my Shuttle XPC with an Intel 875 chipset MOBO. I was determined not to have to format and re-install the hundreds of applications again. I also went thru this problem 3 years ago with my first AIW card. I ended up buying a MS support incident and getting a back line MS tech who installed a second parallel copy of W2K on my HD, loaded the drivers and it worked, so he then spent an hour with me cutting and pasting the registry hives to get it to work on my original OS.

Deja Vu', on Win XP!! This time, with your replies I was determined to beat it. I found out how! The steps I took were a lot more involved than the ones below, but these should work and be a lot shorter:

1. Open Device Manager
    2. DISABLE all Radeon items, do not delete them. Be sure to look in the display adapters and the sound areas.
    3. Optionally reboot, may not be necessary.
    4. Open Device Manger
    5. DELETE all sound drivers that came with your MOBO
    6. REBOOT, not optional!!
    7. Windows will rediscover your MOBO drivers and reinstall them over the top of the Radeon drivers. You will now have sound once again!!
    8. ENABLE all Radeon items, sound and video
    9. It should implement them on the spot and you will be back up and have them working.

If this doesn't work as I have discribed, improvise. But the key is to get your MOBO sound drivers to install last.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To get USB 2.0 support you must install Service Pack 1 for XP. Since Service Pack 2 includes Service Pack and has more updates you should install that. I would recommenrd installing it before installing any drivers as more and more want you to have SP1 installed for them to function properly.

If the sound still doesn't work then check the sound card jacks with another set of speakers or headphones. Since you motherboard supports 6 channel audio you can set that up within the Control Panel or the driver's settings and see if you get any output from the front, rear, or center outputs - check the manual for which jacks to use.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice