1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS P4C800-E SATA and IDE Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aerain, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aerain

aerain Thread Starter

Help!!!

My specs:
    ASUS P4C800-E
    36.7 GB Raptor (SATA)
    200 GB Maxtor (IDE)
    100 GB WD (IDE)

I want to set up the SATA drive to load Windows and have the other IDE drives as backup. I searched the internet as well as the manual but I couldn't find anything that will help me do it.

When I plug in all the drives as once, only the IDE drives get recognized. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. xavier57

xavier57

Is your SATA set up with the jumpers as "master" and the other IDE's as "slaves"? That should take care of the problem...

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

SATA drives do not have jumpers, do they? :confused:

4. norton850

norton850

There are no jumper settings on SATA drives. So the IDE drives can be set up any way you want. But while we are figuring things out put them both on the primary IDE connector as master/slave. The SATA drive plug into SATA1 and of course don't forget the power plug. Do they all show up in BIOS?

5. slawless

slawless

2 suggestions:
    do you have the SATA drive plugged into the right connector. There are 2 sets of 2 SATA connectors on the MoBo. See page 1-7 of the manual.

do you have SATA turned on in BIOS. See page 4-11 (or so) you will need enhanced mode support on. under IDE configuration.

also you will need to specify the SATA drive as primary in the boot order.

I have a P4C800E-delux with 2 Raptors in RAID0 using the ICHR5 and a 40 Gb Maxtor IDE for backup. It works well.

good luck

Steve L

6. xavier57

xavier57

7. Conrad747

Conrad747

8. norton850

norton850

There are jumpers on the back of WD SATA drives. They are not the traditional master/slave/cable select and for normal installation nothing needs to be done with them. If you are interested in what they do, go to this link and click on "Installation Guide-SATA". The info is on page 22.

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/index.asp

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice