Asus P4S533 mobo - memory question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cijebi

I would like to add additional memory to my Asus P4S533 mobo but not sure what kind I can add. It has 3 sockets and presently 2 of those sockets each contain one 256 DDR (PC2700) for a total of 512MB. That leaves one socket empty. I wanted to buy an additional 256 DDR (PC2700) but I am not sure if I can do that. The mobo manual has the following notation and I'm not sure what it means - "Only 4 banks of PC2700 are supported". Does this mean that the only way I can add additional memory is by replacing one of the existing 256 DDR PC2700 modules with a 512 DDR (PC2700) or can I add a third 256 DDR (PC2700) module?

Thanks for any help!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. I'm confused. Do you have 3 slots or 4 slots?

Cijebi

Hi, sorry I wasn't more clear - the mobo has 3 slots and I'm currently using two of them, each with a 256 DDR (PC2700). I'm wondering what will happen if I put in another 256 DDR (PC2700) in the third remaining slot. Since I've no idea what "only 2 banks support PC2700" means, I don't know if adding another stick to the third slot will mess up the system or at the least slow it down. Any ideas?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ah, that is a bit different again from what you said. If only 2 banks support PC2700, your board may be capable of using SDRAM and DDR ram. And you can't use both at the same time.

Cijebi

I'm sorry AcaCandy - I've been really slow about providing all the info you need to help me out - it's one of those weeks!

The mobo I have is Asus P4S533 with the Sis 645 DX chipset - here's a link to it's specs:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S533&langs=09

When I had it built, they installed two Samsung 256 DDR (PC2700) for a total of 512mb. As you can see from the specs, the mobo has 3 memory slots and I was hoping to add a third 256 DDR (PC2700) in that third (currently empty) slot. Do you think I can or will that mess up the computer?

If there is any other info you need about my machine, please just ask and I'll get right back to you. I won't do anything until I hear back from you because I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for your patience!!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I know what you mean......I should have looked up the specs myself, one of those days........

It appears you can use up to 3G of ram, so I'd say yes, according to their spec sheet. I still don't understand the reference to the 4 banks though, perhaps someone else has an idea on why they would cloud the issue by putting that in there :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online