1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS P4S800 CPU Power error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gunnerbill, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gunnerbill

gunnerbill Thread Starter

Hello;
    Please help !!! I am now having a problem with this
    new computer I just purchased. The computer is working
    but it is running very slow.

Here is the problem. When I start or reboot the
    computer, the system hangs during Bio's Boot process
    and has a statement that appears something like this
    "During Boot Phase, Processor error was detected, Go to
    Power Menu" Press F1 to continue, Del to run set-up.

CPU speed is set in Bio's at 2600.

In the Bio's, I found, under power manager, under
    Hardware monitor, a problem with CPU voltage.
    VCORE VOLTAGE 3.3v is flashing 2.89v in Red.

Here is what it states:

VCORE VOLTAGE 1.53v
    +3.3v = 2.89v this voltage goes between 2.72v to 2.89v
    +5v = 5.02v
    +12v = 11.96v

Here is my question, Is it possible that my New Power
    supply is going bad or is My New P4 2.6 800Mhz CPU going
    bad,

ASUS Tech support states it is not the motherboard, the
    motherboard is doing it job by reporting the error, I guess that
    sounds right? Or could it be the motherboard?

Please help!!

Hardware configuration:

Tower Case w/400w PS with 3 fans
    ASUS P4S800 motherboard
    with newest Bio's: 07/09/2003-SIS648/SIS963/W697-P4S800
    Intel P4 2.6c 800Mhz CPU
    1GB = PC3200 184PIN 512MBx2 DDR400 Kingmax
    120GB Maxtor HD
    160GB Maxtor HD
    Pioneer DVD-105 16x
    Pioneer DV-R 105 4x2x16x10
    ATI Radeon 9200 256Mb 8x Video Card
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    SMC Lan card 10/100
    Asound Lan Card 10/100
    Win XP Home full version
    :confused: :confused:

2. pronute

pronute

According to Asus you have to use BIOS version 1004 for "The new CPU's" to work date July 16 2003 click here for more info. this will have a link to determin what BIOS vesion you have if your version is lower then 1004 then you have to flash the BIOS click here for 1004

3. gunnerbill

My Bio's are up to date, BIOS version 1004. it reads

BIOS version 1004
    07/09/2003-SIS648/SIS963/W697-P4S800
    :confused:

4. pronute

pronute

OK then, in BIOS setup, in the Advanced Menu. select 'Manual' for CPU VCore setting, then increase the core voltage as close to 3.3 volts as you can don't go over, see if this works. this info is covered on page 2-14 of your manual if you don't have a manual click here

5. gunnerbill

Ok, I tied going manual. but this motherboard has a feature called C.R.P. (CPU Parameter Recall) and keeps going to 2600 MHz cpu setting. So, I placed it back to the jumperless CPU setting.
    Could it be my powersupply is going bad. not suppling the correct voltage to the CPU. Power supplies are cheep and I good alway get one, if I need one. Also, I am also running three exhaust fans, could that be the problem, maybe I am drawing to much voltage. I currently have a 400w power supply, no dought it is probably the lowest of low end power supplies available. If I were to go with a 420w PS, would that make a difference?

What harm will this do to the CPU?

GunnerBill

6. rockinmale

rockinmale

I believe that the psu is causing you problems. If the motherboard hardware monitor is telling you the 3.3v is low. The PSU for some reason its unable to maintain the 3.3v rail. Those numbers are way too low. That PSU should be able to hold that load, so I would say it is defective.

Since your system specs look almost new. I would rma the power supply it should be under warranty.

FYI
    The power supply is the most important component in the system. It supplies power to every piece of hardware. You definately dont want a cheap $20 power supply running your system.

Are you using a quality psu or a generic one?
    For a future reference always buy a quality power supply. Good companies to buy from are antec, enermax, and fortran.

As for your current 400w power supply. It should be more than enough to run your entire system. If you go higher it will definately be overkill.

7. gunnerbill

Thanks rockinmale;
    I will do that, I just called the computer seller and they will be sending a new Power supply. They didnt state what brand/manufacture (no dought, again a low end PSU) but said that they would be send a 420w PSU. They did state that I was not the only person complaining of that same problem, and that this would slove the problem.

Would this problem cause my whole system to run slow? Actually, it is not the whole system but I think my lan card. Maybe a hole different problem.

Gunnerbill

8. rockinmale

rockinmale

Here's a few articles to take a look at...

http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20011012/index.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html

If you already know your going to receive a el cheap power supply. Ask the reseller if its possible to upgrade the power supply and pay the difference. You dont wanna run your newly built system on one of those power supplies. Protect your investment by using a good quality power supply.

I cannot stress this enough. I have seen way too many cheap power supplies fail and fry half the components inside. A few months back, i had to rebuild a system for my wifes father. I had no doing in the pc that he bought. A year after he bought it, the psu failed. The capacitors in the power supply blew and fried the motherboard, cpu, hard drive, and memory. I wasnt suprised when i first looked inside. It was an el cheapo LG Electronics power supply.

But of course.....when i rebuilt his system i used a antec true power PSU. As they saying goes you live and learn....

Trust me on this....im sure other tech's here will say the same.

Keep us posted....

Oh, almost forgot to answer your question. Yes, the power supply can cause your system to run slow and cause instablility problems......

Good luck!
    TC
    rockinmale:cool:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice