1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS P4S8X Motherboard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coderitr, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

In April I bought an ASUS P4S8X motherboard and built my P4 2.8GHz system on it. I had to flash the BIOS to even get XP to install on it so I know I'm on the latest version. I have been having intermittent problems connecting to the internet through my DSL connection lately. When my desktop stops working, I get out my notebook and it works fine. I can ping 127.0.0.1 when I can't connect to the internet (provided I disable the firewall.) This seems to be a problem with the onboard NIC on this MB. Any ideas???? Please???

Thanks
    coderitr:)

2. 8Ball

8Ball

Just to be certain, and cover the bases, Have you verified you do not have a virus or a worm?

There are several out that can cause just this type of problem.

3. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

I'm running Norton SystemWorks 2002 with AntiVirus and Norton Personal Firewall. I formatted the drive and reinstalled XP two weeks ago and when XP came up to the part where it sends the activation to MS, it failed and I had to phone it in!

After talking to my DSL provider I'm think this is a problem with the NIC card on the motherboard. I've sent a case to ASUS support asking if they have any diagnostic tools I can have to fully test the NIC.

4. pronute

pronute

The easies way would be to install a nic card and see if that works. Then you’ll know for sure if it's the onboard or not, and if it works keep the nic card and disable the onboard in BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice