1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrNorm, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

:confused: Woe is me!

If you look at my profile you'll see details of my hardware setup. In summary, Asus P5LD2 Deluxe mobo, Intel D 805 processor, AMIBIOS, 2gig RAM, WD SATAII Drive, BenQ 1655 DVD-RW attached to the Primary IDE (not EIDE) with jumper in Master state. SATA drive attached.

Problem: I can not get the BIOS to recognize the BenQ in order to boot from it (to repair the MBR of the SATA drive).

Note that when I attach the BenQ to EIDE, it IS recognized. The problem is that ASUS boards do not support booting from CD-ROM attached to EIDE.

I have tried everything I know to get this to work without any luck. I keep getting the infamous "Insert Boot Media in selected Boot devie and press a key" message.

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

On that board, there is only one IDE connector that you can connect the CD-ROM to--make sure you have it connected to the right one.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

You have to attach the CD-ROM to the blue IDE connector.

Attached Files:

4. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

Thanks Mulder, but I already knew that. (I indicated that it was connected to the IDE (not EIDE) connector. Yup, it's the blue one.

What is weird (and I wrote about this) is that when connected to the EIDE it IS recognized (even though such a connection is unsupported.) But under no circumstances are you able to a CD-ROM using that particular connection. RED - recognized, BLUE - not recognized

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

I would force the BIOS--i.e., tell the BIOS a CD-ROM is attached to the IDE.

6. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

There's a problem there. On ASUS boards, only the SATA and EIDE devices are configurable. There's no way to even see the IDE devices. I'm not even sure how AMIBIOS actually handles this.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

I don't know what you mean. First of all, I don't understand the terminology you are using--IDE and EIDE--they are all IDE connectors. The "E" just refers to an enhanced version and all of those are enhanced.

What do you have if anything connected to the red IDE connectors (as oppossed to the blue) and what do you have conected to the blue?

You should be abel to see all of these devices in BIOS as either a recognized device or no device there. Check again.

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

Check page 4-15 of your manual--you can choose "not Installed", "Auto", "CDROM" or ARMD on your primary IDE (the blue). Make sure that was set to "Auto". You have to actually click on that primary device to see it listed. If it was set to auto, try it on "CDROM".

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

Actually, I would first set all the BIOS settings to default and see if you have the same problem, then go back in and under setting on the Primary IDE, set it to "CDROM"

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--I assume you have set the CD-ROM as the first boot device?

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

One more thing--how are your SATA drives configured? Are they set up as "Standard IDE" or AHCI?

12. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

Asus makes exactly that differentiation: the 2 red connectors are for up to 4 EIDE devices. Since they are specified as EIDE (or Ultra ATA 133/100/66 devices), the manual says clearly that they do not support ATAPI devices. On the other hand, the blue connector is for IDE devices - you can connect hard drives and ATAPI devices.

Therefore, in theory you can have a maxixmum of two ATAPI devices.

SATA connectors are, well, SATA connectors.

I have a WD Caviar 500gig SATA-II hard drive attached to SATA connector 3.
    I have a BenQ 1655 DVD-RW attached to the red IDE connector.
    Nothing else.

The BIOS is an AMIBIOS. It only references (or seems to) the Red EIDE and the SATA connectors. In the POST leading up to the BIOS setup, I see the WD hard drive recognized. That is followed by a scan of the ITE EIDE connections and finds nothing (as it should). There is no screen that mentions any other connectors and I find no mention of it in the Setup.

13. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

I believe I tried the CDROM on that connection and the BIOS "choked".

14. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

I set the ATAPI device as the first boot device, there's no reference to BenQ. That's when I get the "Insert Boot Media..." message. I will try once more to set Primary IDE as CDROM and make sure I'm correct in saying it doesn't work.

The SATA is set up as IDE, not AHCI

15. DrNorm

DrNorm Thread Starter

Well I tried exactly that "force." On reboot, I get the message "Primary Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible."

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice