1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ASUS P5QL Pro doesn't detect SATA HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TRBMan, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRBMan

TRBMan Thread Starter

Me and a buddy finished assembling a computer a few days ago (specs below). We put everything together and turned it on. It booted up BIOS, but didn't detect any SATA or IDE hard drives that I connected. The only thing it would detect was an IDE DVD drive that i hooked up. (i know the hard drives are fine because they work properly in other computers.)
    after an entire weekend of fiddling with BIOS settings, and testing various hard drives, we dropped off the PC to our local repair shop. after a day of testing, the repairman called me up and said he narrowed the issue down to a faulty motherboard. the model of this faulty motherboard was an ASUS P5KPL-CM.

after i got the news, i went out and bought myself a brand new ASUS P5QL Pro. we got home, swapped the boards, hooked everything up, then booted up the computer. BAM. Same exact issue. didn't detect any hard drives that I connected. I continued playing with BIOS for a few hours but still couldn't get anything.
    i still haven't gotten my board to detect any hard drives! I'm dying to get Windows installed and have my PC up and running.
    do i have to install any drivers? please help me.
    here are my specs

ASUS P5QL Pro
    Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core
    Kingston HyperX 4GB 2x2GB PC28500 DDR2
    ATI Radeon HD3650
    160GB SATA HDD
    40GB IDE HDD
    IDE DVDROM Drive

any other information is available upon request

2. dannyn

dannyn

Make sure the IDE drive is set to master and not slave.
    Is the power supply powers these drives any good? Do you have another to test?
    Can you hear the drive spinning?

3. TRBMan

TRBMan Thread Starter

i will change the IDE drive. I currently have it set to cable select. I do not have any other power supplies to test. I will see if i can hear the drive spinning.

i have to do all of these things tomorrow though. the computer is at my friend's house.

4. dannyn

dannyn

Cable select should be fine, but you never know, just to take out variables.
    Ok, let me know how it goes.

5. TRBMan

TRBMan Thread Starter

i set the IDE DVD drive to master and the IDE HDD to slave.
    after the machine booted up, it didn't detect either of the devices. how else should i try to configure the jumpers?

and what can i do about the SATA drive?

6. dannyn

dannyn

Answers to the other two questions?

7. TRBMan

TRBMan Thread Starter

the power supply is fine. when i took it to the local shop they tested the power supply.
    and yes, i can hear, and feel, the drive spinning.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am assuming you have checked the sata controller is enabled in the bios AND set to whatever mode you want.

9. TRBMan

TRBMan Thread Starter

yes i have checked the SATA settings in BIOS.
    and i have updated it to the latest version. I called up my local repair shop that looked at my computer and explained to him that I was having the same issue with a brand new motherboard. He suggested that it may be a bad processor. So I sent my processor back today and a new one will be here on Dec. 2nd.
    I also took back the P5QL Pro board today. If the return policy allows for it, I will be sending back my P5KPL-CM board also.

I'm fed up with ASUS boards not recognizing my hard drives. My local computer repair shop and I could BOTH not figure it what was causing the issue. Even after testing the board with different hardware. Hopefully the processor was the issue. Otherwise I will have no idea how to fix this computer.

10. Parkman

Parkman

Ok. So are these SATA drives connected to port 1 on the motherboard? If you have it connected to port 5 or 6 without AHCI or RAID enabled then you will not be able to use the drives. If you have it set to AHCI then you will be able to use port 5 and 6 but you wont see the drives in BIOS. I wouldn't even plug in any IDE for this testing.
    1. Make sure you test each sata port. 5 and 6 may not work with SATA configured as IDE
    2. Enable SATA to RAID mode and enter the Intel matrix console (ctl I) and see if anything is there.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

With Asus boards, I would not be surprised if more than 1 is bad. 2 years ago I had 4 in a row bad that I kept finally sending back to Newegg because remember when times got bad, the first thing the mfgrs do is release the quality control and inspectors so if a store has one bad one, I have seen where every one they have is bad, especially with Asus products.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I highly doubt you have a bad cpu. A cpu usually either works or does not; there is no middle ground.

13. TRBMan

TRBMan Thread Starter

i've lost all hope. getting a new CPU was a last resort measure. i have no idea what else i could possibly do to fix the issue.
    my new CPU comes Tuesday. and i'll probably order the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard.

what could have possibly made BOTH motherboards not detect the HDDs?

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Asus!

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Getting a giagabyte board will most likely fix the problem. A new cpu is always nice to have however as posted above the cpu is not going to fix the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice